NYU (28-7) 3, McDaniel (16-13) 1
What: ECAC volleyball finals
When: Sunday, Nov. 17
Where: Scranton, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
NYU rallied for a 25-22 victory in the third set and carried that momentum to a 25-14 win in Set No. 4, defeating McDaniel 3-1 in the finals of the ECAC tournament.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the Green Terror with 16 kills and 13 digs.
• Isabel Paci (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) added 17 kills.
• Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) chipped in 42 assists.
• Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) added 10 kills and two block solos.
FOR THE FOES
• Haley Holz led the Violets with 14 kills.
• Jacqueline Kupeli had 17 digs to steady the defense.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The match started as a back-and-forth affair with five ties and two lead changes until Maddie DeJong knocked down a kill to give NYU a 12-11 lead that the Violets did not relinquish. The lead grew as large as 20-15 on a Haley Holz ace. An Emma Lorenzen block closed the margin to 23-20 but kills from Abby Ausmus and Holz around one from Marlowe Embry gave NYU a 25-21 win.
• Back-to-back Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) aces to start the second set put McDaniel in front early and the Green Terror never trailed. A Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Rock Canyon) ace pushed the lead to 12-5 en route to a 25-17 victory.
• The third set was back-and-forth the whole way with 10 ties and three lead changes. McDaniel built an 18-15 lead on a Marlowe Embry kill to force a timeout. A Jacqueline Kupeli ace and pair of Green Terror errors turned the tables and gave NYU a 19-18 edge. Isabel Paci responded with a pair of kills around one from Nicole Dao to even the set for the final time at 20-all. Dao responded once again to spark a 5-2 finish and 25-22 win.
• NYU jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the fourth set. An Embry kill closed the deficit to 8-6 but the Violets tallied four of the next five points for a 12-8 lead. Clinging to an 18-13 lead after a Jezerski kill, NYU tallied seven of the last eight points for the title.
THE INSIDE STORY
• It was the second straight season that NYU and McDaniel met in the ECAC finals. The Violets prevailed both years.
• Marlowe Embry and Gayle Edelstein earned spots on the all-tournament team for her play over the weekend.