McDaniel (12-11, 6-3 CC) 3, Muhlenberg (10-13, 3-5 CC) 1
What: Centennial Conference (CC) volleyball match
When: Friday, Oct. 25
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel and Muhlenberg played four tightly-contested sets with the Green Terror prevailing, 3-1. McDaniel took the first two sets by 28-26 and 25-21 margins before the Mules forced a fourth set with a 25-21 victory. The Green Terror wrapped up the match with a 25-19 victory.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the Green Terror with 26 kills and 25 digs, including posting a .440 hitting percentage.
• Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) added 56 assists to go with eight digs, two blocks and an ace.
• Isabel Paci (Ellictt City, Md./River Hill) chipped in 17 kills to the attack.
• Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Rock Canyon) contributed 18 digs.
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Mt. Hebron0 added 13 digs to go with seven kills and two blocks.
FOR THE FOES
• Tara Register led the Mule attack with 11 kills.
• Maya Illovsky led the defense with 25 digs to go with six assists and two aces.
• Emma Eglinton chipped in 38 assists and 19 digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The first set featured 15 ties and seven lead changes. McDaniel jumped out to a 6-3 lead on an Isabel Paci kill. Muhlenberg, however, rallied the next four points for a 7-6 edge. Neither team led by more than two points until another Paci kill made it 23-20 and forced a Mule timeout. A Tara Register block and Paci kill made it 24-21 but a service error, Maya Illovsky ace and Maggie Enestvedt kill tied the set at 24-all. The teams traded hitting errors before a Laura Boll kill made it 26-all but Marlowe Embry knocked down back-to-back kills for a 28-26 win.
• Tied at 9-all in the second set, an Embry knockdown sparked a 5-0 run for a 14-9 advantage. The lead teetered between three and five the rest of the way en route to a 25-21 win for a 2-0 lead in the match.
• After trading points early, an Illovsky ace gave Muhlenberg a 4-3 edge and the visitors did not trail the rest of the way for a 25-21 win.
• After trading the first two points of the fourth set, a Paci kill and Anna Jerzerski ace gave the hosts a 3-1 lead. Back-to-back Embry kills stretched the lead to 6-2. The Mules closed to within one on three occasions before a Makayla Patterson (Colorado Springs, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) ace keyed a late 6-1 run that opened up a 23-16 lead en route to the 25-19 victory.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The 25 digs were a career high for Marlowe Embry. It was her first 20-20 match of the season.
• Gayle Edelstein's 58 assists were also a career best.
• The Green Terror will assure itself a conference tournament appearance with a win at Dickinson on Wednesday.
McDaniel returns to action at Dickinson on Wednesday. Match time is 7 p.m.