McDaniel (7-6, 1-0 CC) 3, Ursinus (4-8, 0-1 CC) 1
What: Centennial Conference (CC) volleyball match
When: Friday, Sept. 19
Where: Collegeville, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel hit .316 with 12 aces to help top Ursinus 3-1 in the Centennial Conference opener for both teams.
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) led the Green Terror with her second double-double of the year, recording 13 kills to go with 14 digs. She also had four aces, hit .345 and had a block.
• Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./Richard Montgomery) led the attack with 14 kills and hit .375.
FOR THE FOES
• Paige DeAlba led the Bears with eight kills.
• Grace Sullivan paced the defense with 17 digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Three straight Anna Jezerski aces helped stretch the lead to 5-0 in the first set. After Ursinus closed the margin to 12-11, four Emma Lorenzen kills in a 6-0 run pushed the lead to 18-11 en route to a 25-12 first-set win.
• McDaniel jumped out to an 8-2 lead in the second set and held a 16-10 lead midway through the set before a service error and Grace Sullivan ace started a run of five straight points that closed the margin to 16-15. The Bears eventually tied the set at 20-all on a Kelly Piotrowicz kill and took a 21-20 lead on a Lauren Novotny ace before winning, 25-21.
• The third set featured five early ties and a pair of lead changes before back-to-back Abigail Hernandez (Gaithersburg, Md./Richard Montgomery) kills helped the Green Terror open up a 13-9 advantage en route to a 25-15 victory.
• Clinging to a 5-4 edge in the fourth set, Isabel Paci (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) put down a kill and Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) followed that with an ace to spark an 11-4 run that opened up a 16-8 advantage. McDaniel went on to close out the match with a 25-17 victory.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Abigail Hernandez and Isabel Paci rounded out a quartet of Green Terror players with double-digit kills, recording 13 and 10, respectively.
• Gayle Edelstein added 48 assists to go with three blocks.
• Hayley Mills (Bowie, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) led a seven-block match with six total blocks.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Gettysburg on Wednesday. Match time is 7 p.m.