McDaniel (6-4) 3, York (Pa.) (3-4) 1
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Saturday, Sept. 14
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
The final three sets were decided by 26-24 scores with McDaniel winning two of those for a 3-1 win over York (Pa.).
• Makayla Patterson (Colorado Springs, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) led the Green Terror with eight kills and hit .438 for the match.
• Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) chipped in 26 assists to go with five kills and seven digs.
• Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) steadied the defense with 10 digs.
FOR THE FOES
• Claire Shorb led the Spartans with seven kills.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Back-to-back Kendall Hanak aces keyed a late 6-0 run that opened up a 23-11 lead en route to a 25-14 victory in the first set.
• The Spartans jumped out to a 17-8 lead in the second set but Anna Jezerski bookended a 7-0 finish to the set to cap a 26-24 comeback win.
• York scored four of the first five points in the third set before holding on for a 26-24 victory to force a fourth set.
• The Spartans led the fourth set 15-5 before four service aces, including back-to-back ones from Kennedy Barlond (Battle Creek, Mich./Pennfield) helped key a comeback. Trailing 24-22, a pair of York errors tied the set before a Hanak ace and Patterson kill capped the win.
McDaniel concludes the day against Catholic.