Mary Washington (2-3) 3, McDaniel (4-4) 1
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Tuesday, Sept. 10
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Mary Washington won the final three sets, including the fourth set by a 26-24 margin to top McDaniel, 3-1.
• Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) led the Green Terror with eight kills, four blocks and two aces.
• Isabel Paci (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) led the attack with 11 ills.
• Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) steadied the defense with 14 sigs.
• Taylor Lindsay (Kennett Square, Pa./Unionville) chipped in 11 digs.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) added a double-double with 10 kills and 12 digs.
FOR THE FOES
• Peyton Dunow led a balanced attack for the Eagles with seven kills. She also had nine digs.
• Krista Rogers chipped in six kills and six blocks – part of a 13-block match for Mary Washington.
• Lexie Henricks also had six kills and six blocks.
• Kendal Hall led the defense with 22 digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The first set featured 10 ties and two lead changes. McDaniel had the largest lead by either team at 11-8 on an Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) ace. Marlowe Embry made it 24-23 with a kill and Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) wrapped up the set with an ace just inside the back line.
• Mary Washington opened up a 9-1 lead in the second set and slowly pushed the lead out, evening the match with a 25-10 victory.
• The Eagles' Kendal Hall served 10 straight points to help her squad race out to an 11-1 lead in the third set en route to a 25-13 win.
• The fourth set was once again back-and-fourth, featuring 11 ties and five lead changes. Four straight points gave Mary Washington a 10-6 lead before a pair of Isabel Paci aces keyed a 7-1 counter for a 13-11 advantage. Tied at 24-all on a Tenley Hares kill, the Eagles forced a pair of attack errors to claim a 26-24 victory.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel finished the night with eight blocks of its own, including four block assists each by Hayley Mills (Bowie, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti), Anna Jezerski and Emma Lorenzen.
• Gayle Edelstein had 31 assists.
McDaniel returns to action at Goucher on Thursday. Match time is 6 p.m.