McDaniel (3-2) 3, Hood (0-5) 0
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Wednesday, Sept. 4
Where: Frederick, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel hit better than .300 as a team in a 3-0 sweep of Hood.
• Abigail Hernandez (Gaithersburg, Md./Richard Montgomery) led the Green Terror attack with 13 kills and hit .500 to go with two blocks.
• Isabel Paci (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) and Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) added 10 kills each. Lorenzen also had five total blocks.
• Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) steadied the defense with 14 digs.
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) chipped in seven kills, four aces and six digs.
FOR THE FOES
• Emma Elizondo led the defense with 10 digs and three blcoks.
• Tailyn Kate and Carrington Ray had seven kills each.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Trailing 9-2, Abigail Hernandez knocked down a kill then Kennedy Barlond (Battle Creek, Mich./Pennfield) served back-to-back aces to close the deficit to 9-6. A pair of Hernandez kills around an Emma Lorenzen knockdown drew the first set even at 10-all. Trailing 19-17, Hernandez once again knocked down a kill before Anna Jezerski served a pair of aces for a 20-19 edge. Tied at 21-all, a Hood service error, Lorenzen ace and kills from Isabel Paci and Hayley Mills (Bowie, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) capped a 25-21 comeback victory.
• Hernandez started the second set with a kill before a pair of blocks and another Hernandez knockdown gave the visitors a 4-0 lead. The advantage ballooned to 11-2 on the second Jezerski ace of a 7-0 run. McDaniel pushed the lead to as large as 19-7 before Hood closed to within 20-14 en route to a 25-18 set two final.
• After the teams traded points early, Hernandez and Paci knocked down back-to-back kills for a 4-2 lead and the Green Terror didn't trail again en route to a 25-20 victory and the sweep.
McDaniel returns to action in a trimatch at Messiah with Eastern on Saturday. The first match begins at 1 p.m.