Apprentice (6-2) 28, McDaniel (6-4) 21
What: Non-Conference wrestling action
When: Monday, Dec. 17
Where: Lexington, Va. – Washington and Lee Duals
THE SKINNY STORY
The Apprentice School won six bouts, including three by fall, to top McDaniel 28-21 in the finale at the Washington and Lee Duals.
• Ronnie Wuest (Smyrna, Del./Smyrna) recorded a 6-minute, 22-second pin to lead the Green Terror.
• Nick Malinowski (Baltimore, Md./Boys' Latin School of Maryland) added his second pin of the three-match day.
FOR THE FOES
• Gilbert Owens led the Builders with a 37-second pin at 165.
• Kolin Johnson also notched a first-period fall at 133.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Nick Malinowski and Kolin Johnson traded pins to open the match. Malinowski won at 125 just 49 seconds into the second period before Johnson took 133 with a 2-minute, 25-second fall.
• Isaiah Edmond (Waldorf, Md./North Point) put McDaniel on top 9-6 with a 5-2 victory at 141.
• Ty Boyd, however, responded with an 11-3 win at 149 for a 10-9 edge in the match.
• Back-to-back falls from Tristan Mabe (6:08) and Gilbert Owens gave Apprentice a 22-9 lead before Jeremy Moseley stretched the advantage to 25-9 with a 7-3 win at 174.
• Six-point results from Ronnie Wuest and Jaime Rodriguez (Westminster, Md./Westminster) closed the margin to 25-21. Wuest won by fall at 184 before Rodriguez took a forfeit win at 197.
• Peter Cortapasso used a 6-4 win at heavyweight to secure the match for the Builders.
THE INSIDE STORY
125: Nick Malinowski pinned Colton Messick 3:49; 133: Kolin Johnson (A) pinned Ryker Eckenbarger 2:25; 141: Isaiah Edmond (M) dec. Shalek Colon 5-2; 149: Ty Boyd (A) maj. dec. Skyler Minutelli 11-3; 157: Tristan Mabe (A) pinned Wade Bishop 6:08; 165: Gilbert Owens (A) pinned Garrett Vandervalk 0:37; 174: Jeremy Moseley (A) dec. Cole Nagle 7-3; 184: Ronnie Wuest pinned William Sorey 6:22; 197: Jaime Rodriguez won by forfeit; HWT: Peter cortapasso (A) dec. Chris Hauffman 6-4.
McDaniel returns to action at the DIII Mid-Winter Duals hosted in Williamsport, Pa., on Saturday, Jan. 12.