No. 23 Gettysburg (19-3, 16-1 CC) 74, McDaniel (12-11, 7-11 CC) 46
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Thursday, Feb. 7
Where: Gettysburg, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Gettysburg scored the game's first five points and never trailed, expanding the first-half lead as large as 20 en route to a 74-46 win over McDaniel.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) led the Green Terror with 14 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Ashley Gehrin led the Bullets with 15 points.
• Meredith Brown added 13 points and eight rebounds.
• Emma Dorshimer chipped in 12 points.
• Seanna McNamara added 11 points and eight rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Behind eight points from Ashley Gehrin, Gettysburg jumped out to a 15-6 lead and forced a McDaniel timeout with 4:53 to play in the opening quarter. An Emma Dorshimer layup and Gehrin triple in the corner directly off an inbounds pass staked the Bullets to a 5-0 lead before 1:11 had elapsed. Two Caroline Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) free throws and a Liv Storer elbow jumper in the final 32 seconds of the period capped a 6-2 burst that closed the deficit to 20-14 at the end of the quarter.
• Gettysburg opened the second quarter on a 10-2 run, stretching the lead to 30-16 at the 6:37 mark. Meredith Brown tallied the first five points of the period, converting a three-point play and second-chance basket on the hosts' first two possession. Eight straight Bullet points from four different players stretched the lead to 38-18 with 2:45 remaining en route to a 42-24 halftime lead.
• Trailing 46-26, Storer hit a jumper with 6:47 showing and Ward drained a triple 37 seconds later to make it a 15-point game before the lead ballooned back to 20 late in the period. Gettysburg took a 55-35 lead into the final period.
• Jumpers from Storer and Sara Pilkey (Fawn Grove, Pa./Kennard-Dale) in the first 36 seconds of the fourth quarter quickly closed the deficit to 16 but Kiera Cesareo drained a triple and Dorshimer canned a jumper to push the lead to its largest of the game at 60-39 with 8:36 remaining. The Bullets put together a meandering 10-0 run over a 5-minute, 8-second stretch to extend the lead to 70-41 with 1:40 to play.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Hannah Zajac (Houston, Texas/Clear Creek) chipped in eight points and five steals for the Green Terror.
• Jamese Word (Belmont, Mass./Lexington Christian Academy) nabbed six steals.
• Gettysburg finished the game with a 58-24 rebounding margin.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Ursinus on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.