Muhlenberg (13-6, 9-5 CC) 63, McDaniel (11-10, 6-10 CC) 36
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Feb. 2
Where: Allentown, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Muhlenberg jumped out to a 17-2 lead and limited McDaniel to just 11 first-half points in a 63-36 win.
• Caroline Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) led the Green Terror with 12 points off the bench.
FOR THE FOES
• Ny Thomas led a balanced attack for the Mules with 13 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Carly Hamilton hit a layup 2:07 into the game to start a quick 7-0 burst to start the game. A Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic Central) jumper with 6:51 showing broke up the shutout but Ny Thomas' second 3-pointer in the first 4:02 started another 10-0 run that stretched the lead to 17-2 with 2:08 remaining. Caroline Ward and Hamilton traded jumpers in the final 22 seconds of the quarter to make it a 19-4 game after 10 minutes.
• The Mules stretched the lead to 23-4 before an Allyson Shipley (Manchester, Md./Delone Catholic [Pa.]) jumper and Madeleine Thompson (Poolesville, Md./Poolesville) 3-pointer on back-to-back possessions trimmed the deficit to 14. Muhlenberg, however, closed the half on a 12-0 run to stretch the advantage to 37-11 at the break.
• A Tara Szawaluk 3-pointer and Madison Kirchofer layup in the first 61 seconds of the third quarter pushed the lead to 31. The lead swelled as large as 34 in the period.
• Eight straight points from Ward to start the fourth quarter and an Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) triple closed the deficit to 54-32. Ashley Polera drained a 3-pointer with 4:11 on the clock to snap a 10-minute, 22-second drought from the floor and push the lead back to 25.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Hannah Ravenscroft (Berryville, Va./Clarke County) was honored as the Green Terror's Aril Bryant Award winner for community service following the game.
McDaniel returns to action at Washington (Md.) on Tuesday. Game time is 7 p.m.