McDaniel (11-8, 6-8 CC) 77, Bryn Mawr (1-17, 0-13 CC) 46
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Jan. 26
Where: Bryn Mawr, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel used a 17-5 second quarter to build a 15-point halftime lead en route to a 77-46 win over Bryn Mawr.
• Hannah Zajac (Houston, Texas/Clear Creek) posted 12 points to go with career highs of seven rebounds and four steals for the Green Terror.
• Sara Pilkey (Fawn Grove, Pa./Kennard-Dale) added 12 points.
• Caroline Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) led all scorers with 19 points and seven rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Halena Martin led the Owls with 12 points and six rebounds.
• Laya Paladugu chipped in 11 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Behind 3-pointers from Brendan Harrison and Laya Paladugu, Bryn Mawr jumped out to an 8-2 lead in the game's first 2:21. Trailing 13-9, Caroline Ward drained her second 3-pointer of the game with 4:14 showing and Hannah Zajac scored four straight points for a 16-13 lead a minute later. A Jamese Word (Belmont, Mass./Lexington Christian Academy) steal-and-layup in the final 30 seconds of the quarter gave the visitors a 20-17 lead.
• After Halena Martin trimmed the deficit to one a minute into the second period, Sara Pilkey hit a putback layup to spark a 17-2 run that pushed the advantage to 37-21 on a Ward triple with 3:03 remaining. A single Shannon Fisher free throw with 1:51 on the clock made it a 37-22 game at the intermission.
• A Zajac layup and Pilkey three-point play pushed the lead to 20 before 83 seconds had elapsed in the second half. The lead remained between 18 and 21 points until five straight Allyson Shipley (Manchester, Md./Delone Catholic [Pa.]) points stretched the lead to 52-29 with 2:52 remaining in the third quarter.
• Leading 57-33, Ellie Connelly (Sharpsburg, Md./Boonsboro) converted a three-point play on the Green Terror's opening possession of the fourth quarter. The lead fluttered between 25 and 29 points until a Ward 3-pointer gave McDaniel a 74-44 lead with 1:04 to play.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Hannah Zajac, Sara Pilkey and Caroline Ward all at least matched their season highs. It was Zajac's first double-digit outing of the year. It was a career-high total for Pilkey and matched Ward's career best.
• McDaniel had a 43-31 advantage on the glass, matching its largest rebounding advantage of the season.
• Jamese Word finished with eight steals – the most by a Green Terror player since Lindsey Nichols had 10 against Gettysburg on Feb. 26, 2016.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Johns Hopkins on Wednesday. Game time is 6 p.m.