Franklin & Marshall (9-8, 6-6 CC) 66, McDaniel (10-8, 5-8 CC) 48
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Tuesday, Jan. 22
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Franklin & Marshall finished the game with a 50-26 rebounding advantage, scoring 21 second-chance points in a 66-48 win over McDaniel.
• Renie Tsomos (Forest Hill, Md./Bel Air) led the Green Terror with 15 points. She also had two steals and three rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Kenna Williams led the Diplomats with 13 points and 18 rebounds.
• Kristin Hamill added 13 points and 16 rebounds to make it two players with double-doubles.
• Haley Pilone had 14 points to lead the way in the scoring column.
• Sarah Pisani scored eight points and handed out seven assists.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• After Kenna Williams and Renie Tsomos traded layups in the game's first 1:35, Williams hit two free throws with 7:47 on the clock to give Franklin & Marshall the lead for good. A Kristin Hamill layup stretched the lead to 9-3 with 3:56 on the clock before an Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) drained a 3-pointer to cut the deficit in half nearly a minute later. Hamill, however, scored four points in the final 2:50 to push the lead to 13-6 after one quarter.
• After a Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) jumper trimmed the margin to five a on the opening possession of the second period, Pilone recorded back-to-back steal-and-layups to push the lead out to 17-8 with 6:22 remaining. A Hamill three-point play and pair of Emily Moran treys keyed a 9-2 run that stretched the advantage to 26-12 before Allyson Shipley (Manchester, Md./Delone Catholic [Pa.]) jumper with 1:40 showing made it a 12-point game at halftime.
• An Emily Metzger (Shamong, N.J./Seneca) fast-break layup sparked a 7-0 burst to start the third quarter, closing the deficit to 26-21 just 1:26 into the period. The Diplomats, however, got two Haley Pilone free throws to spark a 10-0 counter, pushing the lead to 15 with 5:37 remaining. A Shipley 3-pointer closed the deficit to 40-31 with 2:01 showing but Jennifer Falconiero responded with a triple of her own en route to a 47-34 lead after three quarters.
• A Pilone 3-pointer and Williams layup stretched the lead to 18 just 2:20 into the fourth quarter. Jayce Klingenberg (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) got a layup off a Jamese Word (Belmont, Mass./Lexington Christian Academy) steal and feed in the backcourt but that's as close as McDaniel could get the rest of the way.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Renie Tsomos reached double figures for the third straight game.
• Kenna Williams and Kristin Hamill combined for 34 rebounds – nearly 45 percent of the total rebounds in the contest.
McDaniel returns to action at Bryn Mawr on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.