Dickinson (9-7, 6-5 CC) 72, McDaniel (10-7, 5-7 CC) 60
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Jan. 19
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Dickinson started the third quarter on a 14-0 run to open up a double-digit lead en route to a 72-60 win over McDaniel.
• Caroline Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) led the Green Terror with 15 points.
• Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) added 14 points.
• Renie Tsomos (Forest Hill, Md./Bel Air) rounded out a trio of double-digit scorers with 12.
FOR THE FOES
• Katie Deutsch led the Red Devils with 18 points and 10 rebounds.
• Halle Maeda added 11 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Dickinson started the game on an 8-0 run behind six points from Hannah Heiring. A Caroline Ward 3-pointer sparked an 8-0 counter that tied the game midway through the opening period. Claudia Maira responded with a triple before four straight McDaniel free throws gave the hosts a 12-11 edge with 3:21 to play. Kate Deutsch hit a layup on the Red Devils' final possession of the quarter for a 19-17 edge.
• Each team build second-quarter leads of four in a back-and-fourth period. A Madeleine Thompson (Poolesville, Md./Poolesville) 3-pointer with 4:49 showing gave McDaniel a 30-26 lead. Dickinson pulled back to within one three times but Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia) hit a jumper with 28 seconds remaining for a 38-35 halftime lead.
• A Jennifer Kremp pull-up 3-pointer tied the game just 20 seconds into the third quarter and sparked the game-changing 14-0 run. The Red Devils hit four triples during the 3-minute, 40-second stretch. The Green Terror closed to within 51-42 before Dickinson closed the quarter on an 11-3 run to stretch the lead to 17.
• An Anna Mondoro 3-pointer and Ward layup trimmed the margin to 12 just 70 seconds into the fourth quarter. However, that was a close as McDaniel could get until a Ward triple with 1:08 to play made it 71-60.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Anna Mondoro scored 11 of her 14 points in the first half.
• The Gill Center Court was officially dedicated as the Rebecca L. Martin Court in a ceremony following the game.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Franklin & Marshall on Tuesday. Game time is 7 p.m.