McDaniel (5-2, 1-2 CC) 61, Dickinson (2-3, 0-2 CC) 55
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Thursday, Nov. 29
Where: Carlisle, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel used an 11-1 run early in the fourth quarter to overcome a three-point deficit and defeat Dickinson, 61-55.
FOR THE FOES
• Kate Deutsch led the Red Devils with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
• Halle Maeda chipped in 13 points, six rebounds and four assists.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Trialing 4-1 on a layups by Renie Tsomos and Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool), Kate Deutsch hit a layup to spark a 12-3 run, opening up a 13-7 advantage for the hosts with 2:19 to play in the first period. A Tsomos jumper with 1:29 to play closed the deficit to four.
• Two Caroline Ward free throws and a Jamese Word (Belmont, Mass./Lexington Christian Academy) fast-break layup evened the game just 2:20 into the second quarter. A Tsomos second-chance jumper gave McDaniel a 15-13 lead 11 seconds later. After a Hannah Heiring jumper tied the game, four straight points from Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) gave the visitors a 19-15 edge. The lead grew as large as 23-18 en route to a 25-22 halftime advantage.
• Deutsch drained a 3-pointer on the opening possession of the second half to tie the game for the fifth time. After Duutsch hit the second of two free throws 30 seconds later, Storer responded with a pair of free throws to spark a 7-0 run. Trailing 37-31, Dickinson scored seven in a row over a 1-minute, 23-second stretch to even the game with 4:13 showing. The Green Terror did not trail the remainder of the quarter but a Deutsch layup made it a 44-all game after three periods.
• Halle Maeda drained a triple to open the fourth quarter before jumpers from Tsomos and Emily Metzger (Shamong, N.J./Seneca) gave the visitors a 48-47 edge. Jennifer Kremp tied the game with one free throw at the 7:51 mark but five straight points from Caroline Ward and a Tsomos jumper built a 55-48 lead with 4:11 to play. A Maeda layup made it a 57-55 game with 20 seconds to play but Tsomos went 4-for-4 from the line in the waning seconds to seal the win.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Bryn Mawr on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.