Swarthmore (18-10, 6-4 CC) 5, McDaniel (19-13, 6-7 CC) 4 – Game 1
McDaniel (20-13, 7-7 CC) 4, Swarthmore (18-11, 6-5 CC) 0 – Game 2
What: Centennial Conference (CC) softball doubleheader
When: Tuesday, Apr. 16
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Swarthmore scored four runs in the third inning of game one and McDaniel plated a pair of fourth-inning runs in game two to forge a split. The Garnet won the opener 5-4 before the Green Terror captured game two, 4-0.
• Cassie Rickrode (Hanover, Pa./Delone Catholic) threw all 13 innings for the Green Terror, allowing just eight hits combined that included a three-hit shutout in game two.
• Haley Michael (Oldsmar, Fla./East Lake) led the offense with four hits that included a 3-for-3 game two.
FOR THE FOES
• Gabriella Natoli led the Garnet with a hit in each game.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In game one, Alicia Wagner (Bradenton, Fla./Lakewood Ranch) poked a one-out single up the middle. Before a throwing error and Mattie Whalen (Magnolia, N.J./Sterling) RBI groundout staked McDaniel to a 1-0 lead.
• Maddie Bowe singled up the middle to lead off the home third before a throwing error on the ensuing sacrifice attempt put runners at the corners. After a stolen base and walk loaded the bases, an out at the plate recorded the first out. Gwen Glatz singled up the middle to score two runs and a wild pitch allowed two more runs to score for a 4-1 lead.
• The Garnet tacked on a run in the fifth. Mika Maenaga singled with one out and stole second before a walk and two-out Gabriella Natoli infield single allowed Maenaga to score for a 5-1 advantage.
• With one out in the sixth, Wagner singled up the middle before Haley Michael followed with a single of her own to put runners at the corners. An error allowed Wagner to score and Whalen to reach with an RBI before a two-out Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) double closed the deficit to 5-4. Bowe got a groundout to end the threat in the sixth and worked around a one-out single in the seventh to earned the victory.
• In game two, a throwing error and singles from Raegan Jackson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) and Wagner loaded the bases. Michael poked a single down the line for a 1-0 lead before back-to-back outs at the plate and a strikeout limited McDaniel to a just a 1-0 lead.
• With one out in the fourth, Michael singled and Melinda Morgan (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) doubled to put runners at second and third. A Tori Wilkins (Lutz, Fla./Land O'Lakes) RBI single stretched the lead to 2-0 before Shank doubled home Morgan with two outs.
• Michaela Persinger (Emmitsburg, Md./Catoctin) doubled with one out in the fifth before a Jackson single and Wagner RBI groundout set the final score.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Kristina Shank and Alicia Wagner had two hits each in game one.
• Raegan Jackson had two hits in the nightcap.
• The Green Terror enters the final conference game next Saturday in position where a sweep will virtually ensure its eighth straight CC tournament appearance.
• McDaniel reached 20 wins for the eighth straight season.
McDaniel returns to action at Messiah on Wednesday. The first game begins at 3 p.m.