Dickinson (9-10, 3-0 CC) 6, McDaniel (13-8, 1-2 CC) 4 – Game 1
Dickinson (10-10, 4-0 CC) 5, McDaniel (13-9, 1-3 CC) 4 – Game 2 (11 inn.)
What: Centennial Conference (CC) softball doubleheader
When: Tuesday, Apr. 2
Where: Carlisle, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Dickinson held on to win game one before rallying to complete the sweep of McDaniel with an 11-inning victory in the nightcap. The Red Devils took the opener 6-4 before winning game two, 5-4.
• Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) led the Green Terror with three hits on the day, including a two-run home run in game one.
• Megan Coyle (Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman) added two hits in game two.
FOR THE FOES
• Kristen Acocella led the Red Devils with four hits in the twinbill, including three hits and two RBIs in game two.
• Maggie McConney had two hits and drove in three runs in game one.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In game one, Marissa Fabbo led off the third inning with a double to the gap before a Brigitte Gutpelet walk and sacrifice bunt put runners at second and third. After a Julie Siecinski RBI groundout, Maggie McConney doubled to the right-center gap for a 2-0 lead.
• Kristina Shank doubled to lead off the fourth before a two-out error put runners at the coners. The Green Terror pulled off a first-third double steal to cut the deficit in half.
• Fabbo led off the fifth with a single before a two-out error prolonged the inning for McConney, who doubled to the gap to stretch the lead to 4-1. Kristen Acocella followed with a single to left for a 5-1 advantage.
• Dickinson tacked on another unearned run in the sixth after a one-out error allowed Hannah Brenner to reach. Pinch-runner Alissa Lima stole second and scored on a Gutpelet two-out single for a 6-1 lead.
• Tori Wilkins (Lutz, Fla./Land O'Lakes) was hit by a pitch to start the top of the seventh before scoring on a two-out Mattie Whalen (Magnolia, N.J./Sterling) double to the gap. Shank followed with her second home run in as many games, clearing the right-field fence to cut the deficit to 6-4. Megan Horsey (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) followed with a double but Kat Vill came on in relief to get a groundout and secure the win.
• In the nightcap, Acocella tripled to lead off the home second before scoring on a sacrifice fly one batter later.
• Whalen drew a walk to lead off the fourth before scoring on a Michaela Persinger (Emmitsburg, Md./Catoctin) triple to tie the game. A Megan Coyle single plated Persinger for a 2-1 lead before a fielder's choice and walk put runners at first and second with two outs. An error allowed both runners to score for a 4-1 advantage.
• In the fifth, Lema led off with a bunt single before a Gutpelet single to left put runners at first and second and a sacrifice bunt moved both runners into scoring position. A walk loaded the bases before a McConney sacrifice fly and Acocella two-run single tied the game.
• McDaniel had two runners on in the seventh and bases loaded in the eighth but could not push the go-ahead run across the plate. A double play ended the top of the 11th inning.
• With Lema at second to start the bottom of the 11th, an error allowed her to score the game-winning run.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Dickinson swept the season series from McDaniel for the first time since 2009.
McDaniel returns to action at Dickinson on Tuesday. The first game begins at 3 p.m.