McDaniel (10-5) 5, Hood (4-13) 2 – Game 1
McDaniel (11-5) 7, Hood (4-14) 0 – Game 2
What: Non-conference softball doubleheader
When: Thursday, Mar. 28
Where: Frederick, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel put together a four-run inning in each game and got solid pitching and defense for a doubleheader sweep of Hood. The Green Terror captured the opener 5-2 before completing the sweep, 7-0.
• Megan Horsey (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) led the Green Terror with four hits, recording a pair of 2-for-4 games.
• Paige Bleyer (Cambridge, Md./Cambridge South Dorchester) and Krista Waller (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) combined to throw a two-hit shutout in game two.
FOR THE FOES
• Katelyn Long led the Blazers with two hits in game one.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In the opener, Cailyn Barthlow drew a walk with one out in the third before moving to second on a groundout and third on a wild pitch. A two-out Katelyn Long single scored Barthlow but Mattie Whalen (Magnolia, N.J./Sterling) threw out the other baserunner at the plate to keep it a 1-0 game.
• Megan Horsey reached base and took second on a throwing error to lead off the fourth before moving to third and scoring on back-to-back groundouts to tie the game.
• Jules Baker reached on an infield single to start the home fifth before a Barthlow single put runners at first and second. After a flyout allowed Baker to move to third, Kaitlin Barron singled for a 2-1 lead.
• Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) led off the sixth with an infield single before a Horsey single to left put runners at first and second. After a forceout put runners at the corners with one out, Michaela Persinger (Emmitsburg, Md./Catoctin) stole second before Shank was able to beat a throw home to tie the game. An Alicia Wagner (Bradenton, Fla./Lakewood Ranch) single scored Persinger before Madison Froemel (Suffolk, Va./Kings Fork) doubled to the gap for a 4-2 lead. A Haley Michael (Oldsmar, Fla./East Lake) sacrifice fly scored Wagner for a 5-2 lead.
• Krista Waller allowed just one baserunner in the final two innings to pick up the win in relief.
• In game two, Melinda Morgan (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) beat out an infield single before Whalen drew a walk. With one out, Horsey dropped a single into center to load the bases for Persinger, who cleared the bases with her first career triple for a 3-0 lead. A Fromel two-out double scored Persinger for a 4-0 lead.
• A Whalen single and Shank triple stretched the lead to 5-0 in the fourth.
• In the fifth, Megan Coyle (Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman) drew a one-out walk before scoring from third during a rundown between first and second for a 6-0 advantage.
• Horesey doubled with one out in the seventh and scored on a two-out error for the final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
• With two triples in game two, the Green Terror doubled its season total for three-baggers.
• Paige Bleyer picked up her first collegiate win in game two, allowing just two hits and three walks in 4 2/3 innings.
• Haley Rust (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) threw the first three innings of game one, allowing four hits and one earned run in her first action of the season in the circle.
• Krista Waller pitched in relief in both games, allowing four hits and striking out two in 6 2/3 innings of work.
McDaniel returns to action in the conference opener at Haverford on Saturday. The first game will begin at 1 p.m.