Springfield (4-0) 6, McDaniel (5-3) 4
What: Non-conference softball game
When: Monday, Mar. 18
Where: Kissimmee, Fla.
THE SKINNY STORY
Springfield recorded a pair of three-run innings to refrain undefeated on the young season and top McDaniel 6-4 in the second game of the day at The Spring Games for both teams.
• Madison Froemel (Suffolk, Va./Kings Fork) led the Green Terror with two hits and two RBIs, including the freshman's first collegiate triple.
• Megan Horsey (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) added three hits and two RBIs.
FOR THE FOES
• Jen Slane led the Pride with a 3-for-3 day at the plate.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Alicia Wagner (Bradenton, Fla./Lakewood Ranch) drew a walk to lead off the top of the second inning before Megan Coyle (Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman) was hit by a pitch. After a sacrifice moved both runners up, Madison Froemel tucked a ball just inside the right-field line and rolled to the corner for a triple a 2-0 lead. After a Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) two-out walk, Megan Horsey dumped a ball into left field for a 3-0 lead.
• After getting new life from an illegal pitch on a popout, Jen Slane singled up the middle before Allie Wheeler walked and move pinch-runner Hannah Salvietti to second. A Meghan Sastram single loaded the bases before Gillian Kane singled to right and cut the deficit to 3-2. An RBI groundout tied the game at 3-all.
• Ava Fernandez led off the fifth with a hard-hit ball up the middle before moving to second on a sacrifice. A Jen Slane double gave Springfield a 4-3 lead before Sanstram laced a ball into the gap that ended up being an inside-the-park home run for a 6-3 lead.
• Froemel led off the top of the sixth with a single before giving way to pinch-runner Hailey Rust (Arnold, Md./Broadneck). After a walk, fielder's choice and stolen base put runners at second and third, Horsey knocked a single into center to cut the margin to 6-4. A walk reloaded the bases but a line-out double play ended the threat.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel had baserunners on in every inning but left 10 on base and had three other runners out on the bases.
• Fiona Johnson (Derwood, Md./Magruder) went the distance in the circle with five strikeouts.
McDaniel returns to action in The Spring Games on Wednesday against Albright and Farmingdale State. The first game of the day begins at 9:30 a.m.