McDaniel (5-2) 9, Mt. St. Mary (N.Y.) (0-5) 1 (5 inn.)
What: Non-conference softball game
When: Monday, Mar. 18
Where: Kissimmee, Fla.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel scored eight runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to break a 1-all deadlock and record a run-rule win over Mt. St. Mary, 9-1.
• Megan Horsey (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) led the Green Terror with two hits and two RBIs.
• Tori Willkins (Lutz, Fla./Land O'Lakes) added a hit, RBI and three stolen bases.
FOR THE FOES
• Emily Lang led the Knight with a 2-for-3 day at the plate and drove in the lone run of the game.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Jessica Ehret led off the third inning with a single before a interference call on an Amanda Almodovar accounted for the first out. After a steal of second, a groundout moved Almodovar to third for Emily Lang, who singled up to left-center for a 1-0 lead.
• Megan Coyle (Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman) led off the bottom of the fourth with a single before a one-out Madison Froemel (Suffolk, Va./Kings Fork) single put runners at first and second. After Julia Dimmick (Silver Spring, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) came in as a pinch runner for Coyle, a fielder's choice put runners at the corners. Mattie Whalen (Magnolia, N.J./Sterling) stole second before a walk loaded the bases for Megan Horsey, whose ground ball allowed Dimmick to score the tying run.
• Tori Wilkins drew a walk to lead off the fifth before stealing both second and third and scoring the go-ahead run on an Alicia Wagner (Bradenton, Fla./Lakewood Ranch) double to the gap. Singles from Coyel and Whalen coupled with a Haley Michael (Oldsmar, Fla./East Lake) walk, throwing error and double steal made it a 4-1 game with one out. A sacrifice fly pushed the lead to 5-1 before a Horsey RBI single, Michaela Persinger (Emmitsburg, Md./Catoctin) RBI double and Wilkins RBI single made it an 8-1 game. Wagner and Coyle drew back-to-back walks and Wilkins stole home on the latter, catching the defense napping for the game-ending run.
McDaniel plays its second game of Monday against Springfield at 11:45 a.m.