No. 13 Christopher Newport (3-1) 13, McDaniel (0-2) 3 (5 inn.)
What: Non-conference softball game
When: Saturday, Mar. 2
Where: Newport News, Va.
THE SKINNY STORY
Christopher Newport scored five runs in two different innings to record a 13-3, five-inning victory over McDaniel.
FOR THE FOES
• Patty Maye Ohanian led the Captains with three hits and three RBIs.
• Sarah Proctor, Grace Wild and Tara Deck all had three hits and two RBIs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) led off the game with a walk and moved to second on a passed ball before Megan Horsey doubled into left field to put runners at second and third. A one-out walk loaded the bases before a Megan Coyle single and a throwing error allowed Shank and Horsey to score for a 2-0 lead.
• Sarah Proctor led off the home first with a triple fore scoring on a one-out Patty Maye Ohanian single.
• A Caroline Helmer single and Grace Wild double tied the game in the second before Tara Deck followed with an RBI single for the lead. A pair of walks loaded the bases with two outs before Calah Savage cleared the bags with a single into the gap for a 6-2 lead.
• Four singles accounted for two more runs in the third.
• The bottom of the fourth inning started with a two-base error before doubles from Wild, Kaitlyn Hasty and Proctor made it a 12-2 game. A two-out Ohanian single through the right side plated Proctor for a 13-2 lead.
• Shank, Horsey and Michaela Persinger (Emmitsburg, Md./Catoctin) strung together three straight singles to load the bases in the fourth before a Tori Wilkins (Lutz, Fla./Land O'Lakes) single scored Shank. A strikeout and 1-2-3 double play, however, ended the game.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Christopher Newport had a 16-6 advantage in the hit column.
McDaniel returns to action in a doubleheader at Gallaudet on Monday, Mar. 11. The first game begins at 3 p.m.