McDaniel finishes 7th
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's swimming championship
When: Thursday-Sunday, Feb. 21-24
Where: Gettysburg, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel finished seventh behind a trio of top-three all-time marks at the 2019 Centennial Conference men's swimming championship hosted by Gettysburg. The Green Terror had 142 points.
• Paul Van Nevel (Boyds, Md./Poolesville) finished 15th in the 200 IM with a time of 1:57.66. He qualified 16th with a time of 1:57.53 to make the B-Finals. On Saturday, he qualified 10th in the 100 back with a program-record time of 52.87. He dropped another 0.05 seconds off that time, placing 10th with a time of 52.82 seconds. On Sunday, he qualified 12th in the 200 back with a time of 1:57.47. In the B-Finals, he placed ninth with a time of 1:55.49 – just missing his program-record time from the 2016 championship.
FOR THE FOES
• Swarthmore won the team title with 845.5 points. Gettysburg was second with 630 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The 200 free relay of Zach Kiick, Grayson Blanchard, Jose Pac and Paul Van Nevel placed fifth with a time of 1:27.82, which ranks second in program history and missing the record by a quarter second.
• The 200 medley relay of Paul Van Nevel, Zach Kiick, Grayson Blanchard and Jose Pac placed sixth with a time of 1:37.51, which ranks second in program history.
• The 400 medley relay with the same quartet placed seventh with a time of 3:35.79 on Friday. The time ranks sixth all-time.
• The 400 free relay of Paul Van Nevel, Greysen Blanchard, Zach Kiick and Jose Pac finished seventh with a time of 3:15.68, which ranks seventh all-time.
• Zach Kiick (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg) was 22nd in the 500 free with a personal-best time of 5:05.62. On Saturday, he posted a personal-best time of 1:49.87 in the 200 free.
• Jose Pac (Quetzaltenango, Guatemala/International American School) just missed the finals of the 200 IM, posting a personal-best time of 1:57.81. The time ranks fourth all-time. On Sunday, he qualified for the B-Finals in the 100 free with a time of 47.65, which placed 13th. He finished 15th in the finals (48.11).
• Grayson Blanchard (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) just missed the finals of the 100 butterfly with a time of 53.00 in the prelims. Tying for 16th place, he posted a time of 52.92 in the swimoff but Washington's Seth Wrigley beat him to the wall with a time of 52.43. In the 100 free on Sunday, he finished 23rd with a personal-best time of 48.85 seconds.
• Michael Brant (Wilmington, Del./Cab Calloway School of the Arts) finished 20th in the 100 breaststroke with a personal-best time of 1:06.15.
• Zach Kiick (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg Area) placed 28th in the 100 free with a personal-best time of 50.50 seconds.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The 200 medley B-relay (Clokey, Simacek, Brant, Schobitz) was 14th (1:48.45). The same duo was also 14th in the 400 medley (4:01.90).
• The 200 free B-relay (Brant, Clokey, Simacek, Schobitz) was 15th (1:37.77).
• The 400 free B-relay (Brant, Simacek, Clokey, Schobitz) was 15th (3:35.75).
• Michael Brant was 26th in the 500 free (5:13.13). He was 26th in the 100 fly (57.16) and 19th in the 200 fly (2:07.89).
• Grayson Blanchard was 22nd in the 50 free (22.35).
• Mitchell Clokey was 32nd in the 50 free with a PR (23.42).
• Sam Simacek was 33rd in the 50 free (23.51). He was also 31st in the 100 free (52.27).
• Nikolas Schobitz was 38th in the 50 free (26.99). He was also 35th in the 100 free with a PR (59.86).
• Jose Pac was 18th in the 200 free (1:46.61).