Coast Guard (2-1) 14, McDaniel (1-3) 10
What: Non-conference men's lacrosse game
When: Saturday, Mar. 2
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Coast Guard scored the game's first eight goals then staved off a fourth-quarter McDaniel rally for a 14-10 win.
• Pat Fegan (Edgewater, Md./South River) led the Green Terror with three goals and three assists.
• Jackson Reilly (Churchton, Md./Southern) added two goals.
• Joey Conklin (Westminster, Md./Westminster) chipped in three ground balls and four caused turnovers.
FOR THE FOES
• Will Iorio led the Bears with three goals and an assist.
• Benner Geurtsen also had a hat trick.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Will Iorio found Anthony Wyler just 2:14 into the game to stake Coast Guard to a 1-0 lead. Benner Geurtsen doubled the advantage 19 seconds later off the first of three Riley McNulty assists. Two Iorio solo runs pushed the lead to 4-0 at the 7:15 mark. After a Matty Johnson made it 5-0, Iorio completed his hat trick with 2:33 to play in the period. Ryan McNary scored with 11 seconds remaining to make it 7-0 after the first quarter.
• Johnson capped the 8-0 start at the 9:55 mark of the second quarter before Jared Payne (Moorestown, N.J./Moorestown) finished the first of Pat Fegan's assists with 8:51 showing before three more Bear goals pushed the lead to 11-1. Fegan got into the goal column with 25 seconds remaining in the first half.
• Bryce Brookhart (Ellicott City, Md./Mt. Hebron) and Fegan scored around a McNulty goal for the third-quarter scoring.
• Fegan completed his first collegiate hat trick just 30 seconds into the fourth quarter before Nick DeLoriers (Abingdon, Md./John Carroll) scored just 12 ticks later to make it a 12-6 game. Devon Maranto (Dayton, Md./Loyola Blakefield) finished Fegan's third helper two minutes later before Jackson Reilly converted in a man-up situation. Noah Longest (Camden, Del./Caesar Rodney) closed the margin to 12-9 with 9:17 to play. However, Geurtsen scored twice in a 92-second stretch to push the lead back to five with 6:33 remaining. Reilly capped the scoring with 2:27 on the clock.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Coast Guard had a 48-33 advantage in shots.
• Both team won 14 faceoffs.
McDaniel returns to action at St. Mary's (Md.) on Saturday. Game time is 3:30 p.m.