McDaniel win own invitational; B-Team finishes 12th
What: McDaniel Spring Invitational in men's golf action
When: Saturday-Sunday, Mar. 30-31
Where: The Bridges Golf Club – Abbottstown, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel came back from a three-shot deficit entering the final round to fire a round of 312 on Sunday – nine shots better than any other team in the field – and win its own spring invitational by eight shots. The Green Terror fired a round of 307 on Saturday and trailed by three shots before finishing up with a 36-hole total of 619. The B-Team finished 12th in the 18-team field with a score of 656 (329-327).
• Kevin Keane (Bethesda, Md./Walt Whitman) led the Green Terror with a second-place finish. He posted a round of 74 on Saturday and 77 on Sunday to finish with a two-day score of 151, tying for low 36-hole score but losing out on medalist honors on a match of cards.
• Shawn MacBurnie (Beverly, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) also posted a top-10 showing with a score of 154. He fired a round of 75 on Saturday and 79 on Sunday to finish seventh overall.
FOR THE FOES
• Gettysburg finished second with a score of 627 (305-322).
• Rosemont's Michael Lange won the individual title on a match of cards from Sunday's round. He and Kevin Keane tied with a score of 151 but Lange fired a four compared to Keane's five on the second handicap hole (No. 10) on Sunday to claim medalist honors.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Chuck Csejka (Orange, Conn./Amity Regional) was tied for 10th overall with a score of 156. He fired the Green Terror's low round on Sunday with a 76 after carding an 80 on Saturday.
• Christian Garruppo (Hilton Head, S.C./Hilton Head Prep) finished 15th with a score of 158, firing a 78 on Saturday and 80 on Sunday.
• Collin MacDonald (Beverly, Mass./Beverly) rounded out the A-Team competitors for McDaniel with a score of 172, finishing tied for 69th. He posted a round of 81 on Saturday and 91 on Sunday.
• Ryan McGarry (North Easton, Mass./Oliver Ames) led the B-Team with a score of 158 to finish 15th after matching rounds of 79.
• Jack Ouellette (Marlborough, Mass./St. John's) placed 28th overall with a score of 162. He posted a round of 80 on Sunday after firing an 82 on Saturday.
• Adam Gibbs (Virginia Beach, Va./Frank W. Cox) and Ryan Sember (Branford, Conn./Branford) finished tied for 56th with scores of 168, firing four rounds of 84.
• Jake Domagal (Whitesboro, N.Y./Whitesboro) was 87th overall with a score of 188 (91-97).
• Mike Mandel (New York, N.Y./New Hartford) played as an individual and was tied for 69th with a score of 172 (84-88).
THE INSIDE STORY
• Sunday's conditions were significantly worse than Saturday with temperatures 20 degrees colder and higher winds. Only three of the 18 competing teams shot a better round over the final 18 holes.
McDaniel returns to action with the B-Team at the Elizabethtown Blue Jay Classic at Hershey Country Club on Thursday before the A-Team also heads to Hershey for the Hershey on Sunday and Monday.