No. 22 Johns Hopkins (5-0, 1-0 CC) 82, McDaniel (3-2, 0-1 CC) 62
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Tuesday, Nov. 26
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Johns Hopkins, ranked 22nd in the latest D3hoops.com poll, shot 56 percent in the first half to build a 46-27 lead en route to an 82-62 victory over McDaniel in the Centennial Conference opener for both teams.
• Mike Wallace (Wilmington, Del./Salesianum) led the Green Terror with 16 points and five rebounds.
• Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) added 17 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Tom Quarry led the Blue Jays with 34 points and six rebounds, including hitting eight 3-pointers.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Tom Quarry opened the game with a thunderous dunk from the left baseline before Ethan Bartlett threw one down off a steal and then converted the three-point play for a 5-0 lead. Quarry added a 3-pointer to make it 8-0 just 2:16 into the game. Josh Sproul and Mike Wallace each canned triples to close the deficit to 8-6. After a Che Colbert (Glen Burnie, Md./Broadneck) hit a layup on the break to make it an 18-12 game with 10:53 to play, Bartlett hit a short jumper to spark a 26-10 run that stretched the lead to 22 with 1:46 to play. Five points from Greg Scarborough (Halethorpe, Md./Lansdowne) over the final 1:17 closed the margin to 46-27 at the break.
• After Sproul hit a jumper on the Green Terror's first possession of the second half, ten points from Quarry in the first 4:52 of the second half keyed a 14-0 run that gave the visitors a 30-point lead for the first time. The lead swelled as large as 35 before five straight points from Sproul sparked a 21-6 run over the final 7:13 of the game.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Tom Quarry had 19 of his 34 points in the first half.
• Half of the Blue Jays' 26 made field goals were 3-pointers.
McDaniel returns to action at Dickinson on Wednesday, Dec. 4. Game time is 8 p.m.