McDaniel (7-17, 3-14 CC) 69, Washington (Md.) (13-11, 9-8 CC) 66
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Wednesday, Feb. 13
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel put together a 23-6 run after Washington drained a 3-pointer to go up 53-40 with 9:11 to play, rallying to post a 69-66 victory.
• Braden Caldwell (York, Pa./Dallastown Area) led the Green Terror with career highs of 17 points and six assists.
• Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) matched his career high with 18 points.
• Tony Tavares (Chesapeake Beach, Md./Huntingtown) added 13 points and six rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Alec Lewis led the Shoremen with 19 points.
• Dallas Marshall added 16 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The first half featured three ties and four lead changes and neither team leading by more than five. Trailing 6-4, Josh Porteous hit a 3-pointer and Alec Lewis converted a jumper for a 9-6 lead with 14:41 remaining. A DJ Harper (Bowie, Md./Riverdale Baptist) breakaway dunk off one of Braden Caldwell's six assists tied the game at 13-all with 7:02 showing. A Barry McCormick jumper and Lewis 3-pointer put Washington up by five just 1:16 later.
• Josh Sproul responded with a 3-pointer of his own and Harper had a layup to retie the game with 4:01 to play. The Shoremen rebuit a lead as large as four en route to a 27-24 halftime lead.
• Washington tallied the first seven points of the second half to stretch the advantage to double digits with 18:18 on the clock. The Shoremen maintained a lead between seven and 12 points until back-to-back Porteous 3-pointers made it a 48-32 game with 12:38 remaining.
• After McCormick drained a trey from the wing, Washington called a timeout with 9:09 to play. Sproul canned a triple out of the stoppage to make it a 53-43 game before back-to-back Tony Tavares fast-break layups trimmed the margin to six. Trailing 59-52, Caldwell scored four straight points and Josh Arruda (Morrisville, Pa./Pennsbury) hit a layup to make it a one-point game with 3:07 remaining.
• Out a timeout, Caldwell drove down the right side of the lane for the lead with 1:57 showing and then Tavares hit a 3-pointer on the next possession to cap the 23-6 run. The Shoremen closed to within one on three different occasions but McDaniel went 6-for-10 from the stripe in the final minute to earn the win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Braden Caldwell went 11-for-13 from the free-throw line.
• The Green Terror finished with a 37-35 edge on the glass.
• After losing back-to-back games in the final second, McDaniel was able to thwart a Washington buzzer-beat attempt in the final second for the win.
McDaniel concludes the season at No. 7 Swarthmore on Saturday. Game time is 3 p.m.