Ursinus (14-7, 11-3 CC) 86, McDaniel (6-15, 2-12 CC) 58
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Saturday, Feb. 2
Where: Collegeville, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Ursinus scored 11 straight points during a 2-minute, 50-second stretch in the second half to open up a 17-point lead with 12:04 to play and did not trail by single digits the rest of the way in an 86-58 win over McDaniel.
FOR THE FOES
• Eric Williams, Jr. led the Bears with 25 points.
• Shane Stark chipped in 13 points.
• Ryan McTamney added 12 points.
• Ryan Hughes rounded out a quartet of double-digit scorers with 11 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• A Greg Scarborough (Halethorpe, Md./Lansdowne) 3-pointer gave McDaniel an early 5-4 lead but an Eric Williams jumper with 17:28 to play sparked an 11-3 run for Ursinus. Aaron Washington (Washington, D.C./Montrose Christian) hit a 3-pointer with 12:06 showing to close the deficit to 21-14 but baskets from Shane Stark and Bruce Edwards pushed the lead back to double digits. Four Braden Caldwell free throws closed the margin to seven but Matt Williams drained a trey with 8:09 showing to stretch the advantage to 28-18.
• Two more Caldwell makes from the charity stripe made it a 30-23 game with 3:46 to play in the opening half but a Stark three-point play stretched the lead back to nine. Three straight Caleb Johnson baskets snapped a nine-minute drought from the floor and slice the margin to 33-30 with just 88 seconds to play. However, Stark and Zach Muredda each hit baskets in the paint to push the lead to seven at the break.
• Two Muredda baskets around a Ryan McTamney layup ballooned the advantaged to 43-30 just 2:10 into the second half. McDaniel once again closed the deficit to six at 45-39 with 15:38 to play but the game-changing 11-0 Ursinus run gave the hosts their largest lead of the game. Williams had two 3-pointers during the run.
• The Green Terror clawed back to within 48-45 on a Washington layup with 9:00 to play but Williams once again responded with a triple and Hughes and Stark each added buckets to make it a 20-point game for the first time. Four of Williams' seven 3-pointers came between the 5:10 mark and the 3:02 mark, stretching the lead to 80-53 and sealing the win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• With the win, Ursinus forged a three-way tie atop the conference standings with two weeks remaining.
• Caleb Johnson added eight rebounds to go with his career-best scoring outing.
McDaniel returns to action at Gettysburg on Wednesday. Game time is 7 p.m.