No. 15 Swarthmore (13-2, 6-2 CC) 78, McDaniel (5-10, 1-7 CC) 53
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Saturday, Jan. 12
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Swarthmore outscored McDaniel 34-6 over the final 9:34 of the first half to open up a 31-point lead en route to a 78-53 victory.
• Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) led the Green Terror with 14 points off the bench.
FOR THE FOES
• Cam Wilkey led the Garnet with 16 points.
• Zac O'Dell added 12 points and 12 rebounds.
• Ryan Ingram and Justin Tucker chipped in 11 points each.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Swarthmore raced out to an 8-2 lead behind a pair of Conor Harkins 3-pointers in the game's first 90 seconds. Four points from Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) and an Isaac Ray (Fredericksburg, Pa./Northern Lebanon) layup closed the deficit to 17-15 with 12:14 to play in the opening half. However, a Cam Wiley 3-pointer pushed the lead back to five. After a Tony Tavares (Chesapeake Beach, Md./Huntingtown) layup cut the deficit to 20-17, Zac O'Dell immediately responded by finishing a pass from Wiley to spark the game-changing run. Ryan Tucker scored nine of his 11 points during the run. Connor Shaw added seven. Wiley and Ryan Ingram each had six.
• The second-half lead swelled as large as 37 on a Wiley free throw with 11:07 to play, making it a 68-31 game. Ray snapped a 7-minute, 36-second drought from the floor with a layup at the 8:20 mark. A DJ Harper (Bowie, Md./Riverdale Baptist) three-point play, Zach Moran (Millstone, N.J./Saint John Vianney) 3-pointer and three points from Sam Beverly (Baltimore, Md./Baltimore City College) helped the Green Terror finish the game on a 9-0 run and set the final margin at 25.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Swarthmore outrebounded McDaniel 47-23 on the game, including 24-8 in the first half.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Franklin & Marshall on Wednesday. Game time is 8 p.m.