McDaniel (3-5, 1-4 CC) 62, Franklin & Marshall (6-3, 3-2 CC) 58
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Saturday, Dec. 8
Where: Lancaster, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel used a late 9-2 run to capture a 62-58 win over Franklin & Marshall.
• Aaron Washington (Washington, D.C./Montrose Christian) led the Green Terror with 21 points.
• Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) chipped in 11 points.
• Issac Ray (Fredericksburg, Pa./Northern Lebanon) added 11 points, including hitting three triples.
FOR THE FOES
• JC McGrath led the Diplomats with 14 points.
• Justin Kupa added 12 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• After a JC McGrath layup on the opening possession staked Franklin & Marshall to a 2-0 lead, Isaac Ray hit a 3-pointer then hit all three free throws after being fouled on a triple for a 6-2 lead just 1:19 into the game. Five points from Aaron Washington helped extend the lead to 17-6 with 11:07 to play in the opening half.
• A Solomon Mathis jumper made it 17-9 with 10:31 on the clock before both teams went cold. A Les Thomas layup snapped a 4-minute, 58-second drought by both teams before a Caleb Johnson layup made it 19-11, snapping a 6-minute, 36-second Green Terror scoring drought. The Diplomats, however, scored the next 12 points to take a 23-19 lead with 38 seconds remaining. Mike Rice drove the lane and scored as time expired to answer two Mike Wallace (Wilmington, Del./Salesianum) free throws and make it a 25-21 game at the break.
• Two McGrath layups in the first two minutes of the second half stretched the lead to eight. A 6-0 burst pushed the advantage to double digits for the first time at 39-29 with 12:13 to play. Trailing 43-35, two Aaron Washington triples keyed an 11-0 run that gave McDaniel the lead back with 7:16 showing, 46-43.
• Two Thomas free throws knotted the game at 47-all with 4:22 remaining. Trailing 52-51, Washington drained a triple with 2:09 to play, giving the visitors the lead and sparking the game-clinching run. Tony Tavares (Chesapeake Beach, Md./Huntingtown) added a putback and DJ Harper (Bowie, Md./Riverdale Baptist) converted a layup for a 58-54 lead with 41 seconds remaining.
McDaniel returns to action at Lynchburg on Sunday, Dec. 16. Game time is 4 p.m.