Dickinson (3-5, 3-1 CC) 91, McDaniel (2-5, 0-4 CC) 86 (OT)
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Wednesday, Dec. 5
Where: Carlisle, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Dickinson led by as many as 10 in the second before McDaniel roared back to force overtime. The Red Devils, however, finished the game on a 9-3 run to escape with a 91-86 victory.
• Tony Tavares (Chesapeake Beach, Md./Huntingtown) led the Green Terror with 19 points. He also led the way on the glass with seven rebounds.
• Mike Wallace (Wilmington, Del./Salesianum) added 12 points and three assists.
• Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) chipped in 12 points.
• Aaron Washington (Washington, D.C./Montrose Christian) added 11 points, including the game-tying 3-pointer late in regulation.
• Josh Arruda (Morrisville, Pa./Pennsbury) contributed 10 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Mike Hinckley led five Red Devils in double figures with 16 points.
• Michael Jurzynski added 15 points.
• Ryan Robinson added 15 points off the bench.
• Chris Bates chipped in 14 points.
• Bryce Allen rounded out the quintet with 11 points and five assists.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Behind a pair of layups from Chris Bates, Dickinson jumped out to a 7-0 lead before Issac Ray (Fredericksburg, Pa./Northern Lebanon) got McDaniel on the board with 16:58 to play. Triples from Ray and Mike Wallace around an Elijah Wright layup closed the deficit to 11-10 before a Bryce Allen 3-pointer and Mike Hinckley jumper stretched the lead back out to six. A Josh Arruda three-point play drew the game even with 10:16 to play before he hit a jumper on the next possession for a 20-18 lead. The teams traded baskets for the remainder of the first half with the Red Devils taking a 40-37 edge into the locker room.
• After Bates hit a layup to open the second half, Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) and Tony Tavares each hit layups and Mike Wallace drained a trey for a 44-42 lead with 17:34 showing. Five straight points from Wright gave the hosts a 49-46 lead before Johnson cut the deficit to one with 15:03 remaining. Two Jack Tierney free throws, however, sparked an 11-2 run that gave the hosts a 58-48 lead with 12:24 to play.
• McDaniel cut the deficit to one four times over the next 11:1, including on a DJ Harper (Bowie, Md./Riverdale Baptist) free throw with 1:09 to play. Jurzynski hit a layup on the other end to stretch the lead back to three but Aaron Washington drained a deep 3-poiner from the right wing to draw the game even with 34 seconds remaining and force overtime.
• Allen hit a jumper on Dickinson's first possession of overtime before Washington responded with another 3-pointer for a one-point lead. Trailing 83-82 on a Tavares driving layup with 2:45 to play, Hinckley responded at the other end with a three-point play for a two-point edge. Allen hit a pair of free throws to stretch the lead to four before another Washington triple cut the deficit to one. Ryan Robinson responded with a 3-pointer of his own to make it a two-possession game with 51.3 seconds left.
THE INSIDE STORY
• It was the highest scoring game in the series since a 102-84 Green Terror win on Jan. 28, 1976.
• The 19 points were a career high for Tony Tavares.
• Josh Arruda scored 10 points after having just three career points entering the game.
• Five players reached double figures for McDaniel for the first time since Nov. 27, 2016.
• The game featured nine ties and 16 lead changes.
• The Green Terror hit a season-high 13 3-pointers.
McDaniel returns to action at Franklin & Marshall on Saturday. Game time is 3 p.m.