McDaniel (1-1) 4, Notre Dame (Md.) (1-2) 2
What: Non-Conference field hockey game
When: Wednesday, Sept. 4
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel scored three times in the final 12 minutes of the game to record a 4-2 win over Notre Dame (Md.).
FOR THE FOES
• Kelsey Campbell tallied one goal for the Gators.
• Vanessa Dunn also converted for Notre Dame.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• On the second penalty stroke called in the first quarter, Emily Farrell stepped up and converted to give McDaniel a 1-0 lead just over eight minutes into the game.
• That lead held until Kelsey Campbell was able to finish on a short Katie Hawkins pass in the middle of the circle to tie the game in the 37th minute.
• Directly off a Maia Giafes corner in the 41st minute, Vanessa Dunn blasted home a shot from the top-right wing for a 2-1 Notre Dame lead.
• Emily Houska (Shrewsbury, Pa./Susquehannock) was on the backside post to knock home a Madison Jamison (Davidsonville, Md./South River) shot-and-save to even the game just three minutes into the fourth quarter.
• A second Farrell penalty stroke just 1:46 later put the hosts back in front.
• Jamison gave the Green Terror insurance, knocking home a Jensyn Koontz (Hampstead, Md./North Carroll) pass with 5:46 to play.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel finished with advantages of 14-7 in shots and 6-3 in penalty corners.
• There were four penalty strokes called in the game. Each goalkeeper made a save on one attempt.
• The win was Caitlin Ashley's first as a collegiate head coach.
McDaniel returns to action at Eastern Mennonite on Wednesday. Game time is 4 p.m.