Washington (Md.) (21-6, 3-3 CC) 17, McDaniel (9-13-1, 1-5 CC) 5
What: Centennial Conference (CC) baseball game
When: Sunday, Apr. 7
Where: Chestertown, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Washington scored nine runs in the fourth inning to break the game wide open and key a 17-5 victory over McDaniel.
• Colin Franke (Highland Mills, N.Y./Cornwall Central) led the Green Terror with a 3-for-3 day at the plate and drove in one of the team's runs.
• Matthew Purnell (Reisterstown, Md./Boys' Latin School of Maryland) notched two hits in his first plate appearances of the season.
FOR THE FOES
• CJ Gillmer led the Shoremen with four hits and three RBIs.
• Ryan Zwier added two hits and five RBIs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• McDaniel jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning. Tom Daly (Haddon Heights, N.J./Haddon Heights) was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning before TJ McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) poked a single into center. After a groundout put runners at second and third with two outs, Colin Franke poked a single through the left side for a 1-0 lead.
• Washington, however, responded with four runs in the bottom of the frame. Luke D'Ostilio led off the inning with a single before a walk and Ryan Colbert double tied the game. A Max Ruvo RBI single put the Shoremen in front for good. Ben Ruvo followed with a single to left and CJ Gillmer had a bunt single to load the bases. After a sacrifice fly and hit batter, Tommy Buckman laced a single to the gap to score two runs for a 4-1 lead.
• In the bottom of the fourth, Washington sent 14 batters to the plate and scored nine runs. Zwier keyed the inning two home runs in the inning, leading off with a shot to center and blasting a three-run shot to left with two outs. McDaniel got back-to-back strikeouts after the leadoff home run but then nine straight reached by way of four walks and five hits.
• Singles from Colbert and Jay Felts coupled with a two-out error stretched the lead to 16-1 in the fifth.
• Keegan Romanoff (Hanover, Pa./New Oxford) drew a pinch-hit walk with one out in the sixth. Matthew Purnell followed with a single for his first hit and Jack Bayne (Lutherville, Md./Towson) drew a walk to load the bases. Jarod Pezzano (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) – the only non-pinch hitter in the inning – singled to score Romanoff. Jimmy Danielczyk (Sparks, Md./Hereford) followed with a pinch-hit single before Will Strauss (Freeport, N.Y./Waldforf) was hit by a pitch to force in a run. Bryden Steele (Lutherville, Md./Dulaney) drew a two-out walk to force in Jezzano in his first collegiate plate appearance to make it a 16-5 game.
• Washington tacked on a single run in the bottom of the seventh with a one-out Gillmer double that scored David Hudak.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Bryden Steele notched an RBI in his first collegiate plate appearance, drawing a walk.
• Matthew Purnell had hits in his first two at bats for the Green Terror.
• Jimmy Danielczyk also picked up his first career hit with a single in the sixth. He also drew a walk.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Johns Hopkins on Tuesday. Game time is 3:30 p.m.