McDaniel (9-11-1, 1-3 CC) 10, No. 6 Swarthmore (14-6, 2-2 CC) 5 – Game 1
No. 6 Swarthmore (15-6, 3-2 CC) 16, McDaniel (9-12-1, 1-4 CC) 3 – Game 2
What: Centennial Conference (CC) baseball doubleheader
When: Saturday, Apr. 6
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel scored four runs in the second inning of game one to key a victory over No. 6 Swarthmore. The Green Terror took the opener 10-5 before the Garnet responded with a 16-3 win in the nightcap.
• Tim Griest (Lititz, Pa./Warwick) led the Green Terror with five hits on the day, including three hits in the game-one win.
• Robbie Mays (Parkton, Md./Hereford) threw 6 1/3 innings in game one with five strikeouts, scattering five hits to pick up the win.
FOR THE FOES
• Cole Beeker led the Garnet with four hits, including three in the game-two win.
• Michael Sepe had two hits and four RBIs in game two.
• Holden Bridge rapped out four hits in game two to give him five on the afternoon.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In game one, Jared Gillen drew a walk to lead off the game before moving to second on a groundout and scoring on a two-out Jackson Roberts single to the gap for a 1-0 lead.
• Evan Finch (Laurel, Md./St. John's College) reached on an error to lead off the second. After a fielder's choice put TJ McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) at first with one out, Tom Daly (Haddon Heights, N.J./Haddon Heights) and Jarod Pezzano (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) put together back-to-back singles to load the bases. After a flyout gave the Garnet two outs, Colin Franke (Highland Mills, N.Y./Cornwall Central) laced a bases-clearing double for a 3-1 lead. DJ Biscoe (Millersville, Md./Old Mill) followed with a single to score Franke for a 4-1 lead.
• A two-out error and back-to-back singles from Michael Sepe and Charles Elliott cut the deficit to 4-3 in the top of the third.
• Tim Griest and Ryan Downes (Hagerstown, Md./St. Maria Goretti) led off the home half of the inning with back-to-back singles before a Finch sacrifice fly plated Griest for a 5-3 edge.
• An error, single and two-out knock through the right side from Daly stretched the lead to 7-3 with a pair of unearned runs.
• Levitt drew a walk to lead off the seventh before stealing second. With a new pitcher in the game, a single, walk and groundout closed the deficit to 7-4 but the Garnet stranded the bases loaded.
• In the bottom of the frame, five straight two-out singles pushed the lead to 10-4.
• A two-out walk and Beeker single up the middle set the final score in the top of the eighth.
• In the nightcap, doubles from Gillen and Roberts keyed a three-run top of the first. Levitt had an RBI single between the two doubles.
• Bridge and Luke Mutz singled to lead off the second before both scored on a Kenji Yoshii two-run single for a 5-0 lead.
• An infield single, pair of stolen bases and passed ball made it 6-0 in the third.
• Franke singled with one out in the bottom of the third before a throwing error put runners at second and third. Downes singled to center with two outs to cut the deficit to 6-2.
• A Levitt one-out walk and stolen base before a Beeker double made it 7-2 in the fourth. Sepe added a two-out knock for an 8-2 advantage.
• Swarthmore tacked on another run in the fifth on a Gillen sacrifice fly.
• Julian Jenkins (Tempe, Ariz./Desert Vista) led off the fifth with a triple before scoring on a two-out Griest single to make it 9-3.
• A Beeker double and back-to-back fly balls to right in the top of the sixth made it 10-3.
• Seven hits in the eighth inning, including a Bridge double and Mutz two-run single set the final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The win over Swarthmore was the highest-ranked team that the Green Terror has defeated.
• In addition to Griest's three hits in the opener, Colin Franke, DJ Biscoe, Evan Finch, Tom Daly and Jarod Pezzano all had two hits each as part of a 15-hit attack. Franke drove in three runs.
McDaniel returns to action at Washington (Md.) on Sunday. Game time is 12:30 p.m.