McDaniel (2-4) 3, Dean (0-1) 0 – Game 1
McDaniel (3-4) 6, Dean (0-2) 2 – Game 2
What: Non-conference baseball doubleheader
When: Monday, Mar. 11
Where: Columbia, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel got a pair of solid complete-game pitching outings and had timely hitting to sweep Dean. The Green Terror won the opener 3-0 before completing the sweep, 6-2.
• Jordan Rhodes (Fawn Grove, Pa./McDonogh [Md.]) went the distance in game one with the three-hit shutout. He struck out six and did not walk a batter.
• In game two, Brad Thaxton (Stevensville, Md./DeMatha) fanned a career-high nine against just one walk in the complete-game win.
• Colin Franke (Highland Mills, N.Y./Cornwall Central) led the offense with three hits and two RBIs on the afternoon.
FOR THE FOES
• Andrew Dinto led the Bulldogs with three hits.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Scoreless in the bottom of the third, TJ McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) led off the inning with a single up the middle before a throwing error put runners at the corners. After McGuire scored on a Colin Franke squeeze play, a wild pitch plated Julian Jenkins (Tempe, Ariz./Desert Vista) for a 2-0 lead.
• Back-to-back walks to Franke and Jarod Pezzano (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) opened the fifth inning before a double steal put runners at second and third with two outs. A Tim Griest (Lititz, Pa./Warwick) infield hit set the final margin.
• In the nightcap, Travis Dinsdale poked a one-out single through the right side before Brian Hadden added an infield knock. After a fielder's choice gave Dean runners at the corners with two outs, a Jeff Sharnick hard-hit comebacker staked the visitors to a 1-0 lead.
• Tom Daly (Haddon Heights, N.J./Haddon Heights) led off the home second with a double before a McGuire single put runners at the corners. A Jenkins sacrifice tied the game before Franke singled to put runners at first and third with two outs. After a Franke steal of second, Pezzano singled through the right side to plate both runners for a 3-1 lead.
• A fielding error, Andrew Dinto single and Sharnick RBI groundout drew the Bulldogs within 3-2 in the third innings.
• McDaniel got the run back on back-to-back singles from Jenkins and Franke in the fourth.
• After hits from Griest, Naquan Holden (Brooklyn, N.Y./Perkiomen School) and DJ Biscoe (Millersville, Md./Old Mill) had the bases loaded with one out, Daly drew a walk to force in Griest for a 5-2 lead.
• Pezzano drew a two-out walk in the sixth and scored on a Ryan Downes (Hagerstown, Md./St. Maria Goretti) double to the fence in center field for the final margin.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Penn State-Brandywine on Wednesday. Game time is 3:30 p.m.