WESTMINSTER, Md. – Sara Hegna (Brielle, N.J./Manasquan) won three times with a pair of pool records to lead McDaniel against Washington (Md.) in Centennial Conference (CC) women's swimming action on Saturday.
- The Shorewomen (7-5, 4-3 CC) defeated the Green Terror (5-6, 1-6 CC) by a score of 62-60. The meet was decided on the final 200 free relay.
Head of the Class: The following athletes won multiple events at the meet:
- Individually, Sara Hegna won the 200 freestyle (2:00.92) and 200 backstroke (2:09.46). She was also part of the winning 400 medley relay (4:07.12).
- Individually, Samantha Smith (Bangkok, Thailand/International School of Bangkok) won the 100 backstroke (1:02.67) and 100 butterfly (1:00.96). She was also part of the winning 400 medley relay (4:07.12).
- Individually, Blair Boyle (Springfield, N.J./Villa Walsh Academy) won the 100 free (54.76 seconds). She was also part of the winning 400 medley relay (4:07.12).
Striking Gold: The following athletes won a single event at the meet:
- Bryn Blanchard (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) joined Hegna, Smith and Boyle to win the 400 medley relay (4:07.12).
Precious Metal: The following athletes finished second or third in an event at the meet:
- Sara Hegan finished second in the 200 IM (2:16.62).
- Blair Boyle finished second in the 200 free (2:02.32) and 500 free (5:29.85).
- Sam Smith finished second in the 50 free (25.52 seconds).
- Bryn Blanchard (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) finished second in the 100 breaststroke (1:11.87).
- Cara Dube (Milford, Conn./Joseph A. Foran) finished second in the 200 butterfly (2:29.42) and 200 backstroke (2:18.63).
- Carly Deickman (Bishopville, Md./Stephen Decatur) finished second in the 200 breaststroke (2:39.89). She was also third in the 100 breaststroke (1:12.35).
- Maddie Gamble (Colora, Md./Rising Sun), Bryn Blanchard (Grasonville, Md./Annapolis Area Christian), Becca Sykes and Joanna Wattenberg finished second in the 200 free relay (1:45.78).
Record Setting Performance: The following athletes established a record at the meet:
- Sara Hegna set a new Harlow Pool in the 200 backstroke (2:09.46). She also established a new pool record in the 100 backstroke with her split (59.81) in the 400 medley relay.
For the Foes: The following Washington athletes won events at the meet:
- Julia Portmann won the 1000 free (11:30.44) and 500 free (5:29.73)
- Jenni Clune won the 100 breaststroke (1:09.42), 200 breaststroke (2:34.30) and 200 IM (2:16.37).
- Lindsay Wiecki won the 200 butterfly (2:22.35).
- Katie Gorman won the 50 free (25.11 seconds).
- Emma Silber, Tricia Markey and Anna Schmittle joined Gorman to win the 200 free relay (1:43.47).
Next Up: The Green Terror returns to action at the CC Championship hosted by Franklin & Marshall on Feb. 22-25.