McDaniel finishes third of six teams
What: Gettysburg Invitational in wrestling action
When: Saturday, Nov. 10
Where: Gettysburg, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel had six placewinners, including a champion and two runners up to lead the way at the Gettysburg Invitational.
• Ryker Eckenbarger (Finksburg, Md./Westminster) went 3-0 to win at 133. The top seed opened with a bye before notching a 5-minute, 48-second fall of Alex Shaffer (Gettysburg) to advance to the semifinals. He added an 11-3 win there before winning by medical forfeit in the finals.
• At 125, Nick Malinowski (Baltimore, Md./Boys Latin School of Maryland) opened with a bye before recording a 30-second pin and then topped the No. 1 seed Kyle Trout (Wilkes) 8-2 win to advance to the title bout. There, Nicholas Bauer (Wilkes) won, 11-7.
• Skyler Minutelli (Sparrows Point, Md./Sparrows Point) won 8-5 to open the day before falling to Kyle Medrow (Wilkes) by fall in 42 seconds. Minutelli wrestled back with a third-period fall and then a medical forfeit to finish third at 141.
• Ronnie Wuest (Smyrna, Del./Smyrna) recorded a pair of falls at 184 to advance to the title bout, where he fell to Gettysburg's Daniel Ebert, 18-0. Wuest's pins came in 2:42 and 4:25.
• Jaime Rodriguez (Westminster, Md./Westminster) fell 9-3 in his opening match to eventual champion Jared Mooney. Rodriguez then worked his way back through the 197 consolation bracket with wins of 12-3, 6-3 and 7-5 to place third.
• Brendan Woody (Crofton, Md./South River) has a similar road at heavyweight. He fell 3-2 to open the day before notching a 49-second fall and a pin 17 seconds into the second period to advance to the consolation final. He then topped Jonathan Pineda 3-2 to place third.
FOR THE FOES
• Gettysburg won the team title with 114 points, edging Wilkes by 6.5 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Jahmally Willie (Silver Spring, Md./Wheaton) recorded a pair of wins at 141. He tallied wins by scores of 6-0 and 4-2 in the consolation bracket.
• Isaiah Edmond (Waldorf, Md./North Point) added a 4-minute, 8-second pin to open his day at 141 before falling to his teammate Willie 6-0 in the consolation bracket.
• Wade Bishop (Greensboro, Md./North Caroline) opened with an 802 win at 157 before dropping to the consolation bracket. In the consolation bracket, he recorded a 5-minute, 42-second fall and 11-10 win. He dropped a 10-3 decision to Michael Brown (Wilkes) one bout shy of the third-place match.
• Garrett Vandervalk (Westminster, Md./Westminster) went 2-2 at 174. He opened with a 15-5 win and added an 1-minute, 28-second fall in consolation bracket.
McDaniel returns to action in its own Green Terror Duals on Sunday, Nov. 18. Action begins at 11 a.m.