Messersmith tallies three and two

Paige Messersmith © 2011 David Sinclair/McDaniel College
Paige Messersmith © 2011 David Sinclair/McDaniel College

HILTON HEAD, S.C. – McDaniel put together a 7-1 run that spanned both halves to rally from an 8-4 deficit and defeat Denison 14-11 in non-conference women's lacrosse action on Tuesday.

Paige Messersmith (Phoenix, Md./Dulaney), the reigning Centennial Conference Defensive Player of the Week, led the way for the Green Terror (3-3) with three goals and two assists. Chelsea Watkins (Columbia, Md./Hammond) added three goals and an assist while Bridget Bopst (Westminster, Md./South Carroll) contributed her first collegiate hat trick.

Alex Thurner paced the Big Red (4-2) with three goals and an assist.

Trailing 8-4 on a Lauren Adams goal with 7:22 to play in the first half, Watkins found Danielle Entrot (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) to trim the deficit to three with 6:54 remaining in the half.

Watkins finished a solo run nearly a minute later before Entrot converted a free-position attempt to make it an 8-7 game with 1:53 to play.

Lisa Feroli responded with a free-position marker of her own 39 seconds later to push the advantage back to two at the break.

Messersmith wasted no time in the second half, finishing a pass from Danielle DeColli (Mt. Airy, Md./South Carroll) with just 40 second elapsed.

Free-position tallies from Anna Beaudry (Amherst, Mass./Amherst Regional) and Bopst just over five minutes apart gave McDaniel the lead for good with 21:54 remaining.

Messersmith finished a solo run with 20:19 on the clock to give McDaniel an 11-9 edge.

Thurner momentarily cut the deficit to one but Messersmith intercepted a pass and went the distance, scoring to reestablish the two-goal advantage with 14:41 to play.

Bopst completed her three-goal day 2:33 later before Adams and Watkins traded unassisted goals to set the final margin with 6:05 on the clock.

Molly Sbrega tallied a pair of goals around a DeColli marker to give Denison a 2-1 lead just 6:50 into the game.

The Green Terror responded with a three-goal run, receiving goals from Watkins, Bopst and DeColli to take a 4-2 advantage with 19:20 to play in the opening half.

Two Thurner goals keyed a six-goal spurt over a 10-minute, 54-second stretch.

The Green Terror returns to action against Dickinson in Hilton Head, S.C. on Thursday. Game time is 2 p.m.