McDaniel (10-6, 5-6 CC) 66, Swarthmore (2-13, 1-9 CC) 32
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Wednesday, Jan. 16
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel went on a 20-6 run in the first quarter and shot 51.6 percent in the first half to build a 38-13 lead en route to a 66-32 victory.
• Renie Tsomos (Forest Hill, Md./Bel Air) led the Green Terror with 14 points.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) added 12 points.
• Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) chipped in 11 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Erin Cronin led the Garnet with eight points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• After Liv Storer and Erin Cronin traded baskets, Renie Tsomos hit a 15-foot jumper to spark an 18-2 run. Six different Green Terror players scored during the run. Christina Holmgreen pulled up on the break to hit a jumper with 12 seconds remaining to make it a 20-6 game at the end of the first quarter.
• Three points from Storer and an Anna Mondoro 3-pointer stretched the lead to 20 just 1:25 into the second quarter. The leads remained between 19 and 25 points throughout the remainder of the period en route to a 38-13 halftime lead.
• Caroine Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) opened the second half with a 3-pointer to stretch the lead to 28. Back-to-back Storer baskets after an Abigail Pirron layup pushed the lead to 30 for the first time at the 5:54 mark. A Mondoro triple in the final 25 seconds made it a 52-20 game heading to the fourth quarter.
• A 9-0 run over a 3-minute, 42-second stretch gave McDaniel its largest lead of the game at 36 with 1:40 to play.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel forced 13 Swarthmore turnovers in the first half and posted its best first-half field-goal percentage defense of the season, holding the Garnet to just 23.8 percent.
• Six Green Terror players scored five or more points in the game.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Dickinson on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.