Johns Hopkins (4-0, 1-0 CC) 61, McDaniel (4-1, 0-1 CC) 38
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Tuesday, Nov. 20
Where: Baltimore, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Johns Hopkins opened up a 15-4 lead after the first quarter and cruised to a 61-38 win in the CC opener for both teams.
• Renie Tsomos (Forest Hill, Md./Bel Air) led the Green Terror with 10 points.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) added five points and a game-high 12 rebounds. She also had three assists.
FOR THE FOES
• Lillian Scott led the Blue Jays with 17 points.
• Rory Cole had 10 points and 11 rebounds.
• Madison McGrath chipped in 11 points and three assists.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Lillian Scott and Madison McGrath opened the game with a pair of 3-pointers before Renie Tsomos got the Green Terror on the board with 7:11 showing in the first quarter. The lead stretched to 15-2 before Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) hit McDaniel's second jumper of the period with 1:02 remaining.
• Mondoro cut the deficit to single digits with 8:13 showing in the second quarter before Johns Hopkins scored 17 of the game's next 23 points to open up a 32-12 lead with 1:52 remaining. Four Tsomos free throws keyed a 6-0 close to the half, cutting the deficit to 32-18.
• The third-quarter lead swelled as large as 42-20 with 1:35 remaining before Caroline Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) scored seven of her nine points in the final 34 seconds to close the margin to 15.
• Tsomos trimmed the deficit to 13 on the second possession of the fourth quarter but that's as close as McDaniel could get. Johns Hopkins responded with a 7-0 burst to seal the win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel went 12 of 16 from the free-throw line, including 10 of 10 in the first half.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Washington (Md.) on Tuesday. Game time is 7:30 p.m.