McDaniel (1-0) 72, Wesley (0-1) 55
What: Non-Conference women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Nov. 10
Where: Dover, Del.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel outscored Wesley 18-8 in the fourth quarter to pull away for a 72-55 win in season-opening action.
• Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) netted 18 points to lead four players in double figures.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) added 16 points to go with eight rebounds.
• Caroline Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) chipped in 15 points.
• Emily Metzger (Shamong, N.J./Seneca) rounded out the quartet with 11 points. She also had four assists.
FOR THE FOES
• Monshea newsome-Murray led the Wolverines with 14 points and nine rebounds.
• Jameshia Baker added 13 points.
• Stacey O'Neale chipped in 10 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Behind 3-pointers from Jameshia Baker and Stacey O'Neale, Wesley jumped out to an 8-2 lead in the game's first 3:11. The lead swelled as large as 13-4. Caroline Ward drilled a 3-pointer with 1:09 showing in the opening quarter to close the margin to 13-11 before the Wolverines pushed the lead back to 16-11 at the end of the period.
• Triples from Caroline Ward and Anna Mondoro gave the Green Terror its first lead with 8:14 showing in the second quarter. Wesley took a momentary 20-19 advantage before an Emily Metzger layup put McDaniel in front for good. Clinging to a 25-24 lead, the Green Terror reeled off nine straight points to open up a 34-24 lead with 2:05 showing and kept the lead at 35-27 at the break.
• An Anna Mondoro triple opened the third-quarter scoring before Wesley went on a 14-4 run, closing the deficit to one with 6:26 to play. Liv Storer responded with five straight points to push the advantage back to six en route to a 54-47 lead at the end of the quarter.
• Katelyn Watson made it a 58-53 game with 6:41 remaining but a Caroline Ward layup sparked a 14-2 finish, securing the double-digit win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Mondoro, Storer, Ward and Metzger combined for 60 of the team's 72 points.
• It was the first double-digit scoring day for Emily Metzger.
McDaniel returns to action at home against York (Pa.) on Tuesday. Game time is 7:30 p.m.