McDaniel (9-5) 8, Macalester (7-9) 5
What: Non-conference softball game
When: Friday, Mar. 22
Where: Clermont, Fla.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel scored three runs in the sixth inning to break a 5-all deadlock and defeat Macalester 8-5 in its final of 10 games at The Spring Games.
• Michaela Persinger (Emittsburg, Md./Catoctin) led the Green Terror with a 3-for-3 day at the plate, adding two RBIs and two runs scored.
• Haley Michael (Oldsmar, Fla./East Lake) was 2-for-2 with a walk, RBI and run scored.
FOR THE FOES
• Kaela Jackson led the Scots with two hits and drove in three runs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) led off the home first with a single before Michaela Persinger reached on a one-out infield single. Aftera. Wild pitch, a two-out error allowed Shank and Persinger to both to score for a 2-0 lead.
• A walk, error and Kaela Jackson single made it a 2-1 game in the third inning before Mattie Whalen (Magnolia, N.J./Sterling) threw out the second runner at the plate with a strike from left field to keep it a one-run game.
• Shank drew a walk to lead off the third before one-out singles from Persinger and Tori Wilkins (Lutz, Fla./Land O'Lakes) pushed the lead to 3-1. A walk and RBI singles from Megan Coyle (Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman) and Haley Michael made it a 5-1 game.
• With one out in the fifth, Audrey Meade singled up the middle, Julia Carpenter dropped in an infield single and Kennedy Kechely walked to load the bases. A two-run Jackson single cut the deficit to 5-3 before a Claire O'Connor single and heads-up baserunning tied the game.
• Michael walked to open the home sixth before taking second on a sacrifice bunt. After heads up baserunning on a ball back to the pitcher and a wild pitch, runners were at second and third with one out. With two outs, Megan Horsey (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) dropped a single into left to score Michael. Persinger followed with a double to the gap to push the lead to three.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Fiona Johnson (Derwood, Md./Magruder) faced the minimum in both the sixth and seventh innings to pick up her fifth win of the year in relief. She struck out four of the six batters she faced.
• Tori Wilkins added two hits for the Green Terror.
• McDaniel capped its 10-game Florida trip with a 7-3 record and will face schedule changes upon its return north. The Green Terror's doubleheader against Stevenson, originally scheduled for Wednesday, has been postponed due to a scheduling conflict for the Mustangs. McDaniel will now play Hood in a doubleheader in Frederick on Thursday.
McDaniel returns to action at Hood on Thursday. The first game will begin at 3 p.m.