COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. – Gavin Gibson (Newark, Del./Sanford) set a record on the track and four other brought home medals to lead McDaniel at the 2018 Centennial Conference (CC) outdoor men's track and field championship on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- The Green Terror placed sixth with 71 points. Johns Hopkins won the nine-team championship with 217 points, outdistancing Haverford by 77 points.
Precious Medals: The following athletes earned a medal at the championship:
- Taylor Wagner (Dunkirk, Md./Northern) claimed silver in the discus with a throw of 44.22 meters.
- Billy Emerson (Germantown, Md./Watkins Mill) earned bronze in the shot put with a throw of 15.12 meters.
- Alex Panagakos (Hampstead, Md./North Carroll) earned bronze in the 400 with a time of 50.33 seconds. He qualified fourth with a time of 51.33 seconds.
- Patrick Smith (Frederick, Md./Gov. Thomas Johnson) claimed bronze in the triple jump with a mark of 12.89 meters.
Making a Point: The following athletes earned points at the meet:
- Nevin Stambaugh (Taneytown, Md./Francis Scott Key): 110 hurdles, finishing fourth with a time of 17.13 seconds.
- Gavin Gibson: 800, finishing fourth with a time of 1:54.86. He qualified fifth with a time of 1:56.54.
- Caleb White (Glen Burnie, Md./Baltimore City College): decathlon, finishing fourth with a score of 4319 points.
- Alex West (Ashburn, Va./Broad Run): decathlon, finishing fifth with 4018 points.
- Ian Armstrong (Tallyville, Del./Brandywine): discus, finishing fifth with a mark of 43.12 meters.
- Miky Kisi (Baltimore, Md./Archbishop Curley): 400 hurdles, finishing sixth with a time of 58.51 seconds. He qualified eighth with a time of 1:00.46.
- Taylor Wagner: hammer, finishing seventh with a mark of 37.74 meters; javelin, finishing eighth with a mark of 46.94 meters.
- Patrick Smith: long jump, finishing seventh with a mark of 6.29 meters.
- Nathaniel Alston (Catonsville, Md./Benjamin Franklin): 400 hurdles, finishing eighth with a time of 1:03.02. He qualified sixth with a time of 1:00.17; high jump, finishing eighth with a mark of 1.67 meters.
- Kai Samuels (Pasadena, Md./Northeast): 400, finishing eighth with a time of 52.98 seconds. He qualified sixth with a time of 51.54 seconds.
Record Setter: The following athletes established a new program record at the meet:
- Gavin Gibson set a new program record in the 800 with a time of 1:54.86.
A New Standard: The following athletes hit ECAC-qualifying marks at the meet:
- Akex Panagakos: 400, 50.33 seconds
- Gavin Gibson: 800, 1:54.86
- Taylor Wagner: discus, 44.22 meters; javelin, 46.94 meters; shot put, 13.65 meters to finish ninth
- Ian Armstrong: discus, 43.12 meters
- Billy Emerson: shot put, 15.12 meters; discus, 40.13 meters to finish 11th
- Patrick Smith: triple jump, 12.89 meters
- 4x800-meter relay: 8:04.03
Multi-Talented: The following athletes competed in the decathlon:
- Caleb White placed second in the long jump (5.99 meters) and 1500 (4:59.13) to lead the way to his fourth-place overall finish. His top points came in the 110 hurdles (17.35 seconds, 588 points) and long jump (5.99 meters, 584 points).
- Alex West placed first in the discus (30.95 meters) and second in the shot put (11.13 meters) to lead the way to his fifth-place overall finish. His top points came in the shot put (11.13 meters, 554 points).
Top 10 Worthy: The following athletes achieved a mark that ranks in the program's all-time top 10:
- Gavin Gibson now ranks first all-time in the 800 (1:54.86).
- Taylor Wagner now ranks second all-time in the hammer (37.74 meters).
- Billy Emerson now ranks third all-time in the shot put (15.12 meters).
- Alex Panagakos now ranks ninth all-time in the 400 (50.33 seconds).
- Taylor Wagner now ranks seventh all-time in the discus (44.22 meters).
- The 4x800-meter relay now ranks eighth (8:04.03).
- Taylor Wagner now ranks 10th all-time in the javelin (46.94 meters).
Teamwork: The following relays competed at the meet:
- The 4x100 relay of Jamie Mintz, Michael Corinaldi, Aaron Ferguson and Manny Rodriguez finished sixth with a time of 45.21 seconds.
- The 4x400 relay of Alex Panagakos, Miky Kisi, Michael Corinaldi and Kai Samuels finished fourth with a time of 3:25.77.
- The 4x800 relay of Alex Panagakos, Miky Kisi, Kai Samuels, Gavin Gibson finished sixth with a time of 8:04.03.
The Best of the Rest: The following also competed at the event:
- Jamie Mintz: 100, 14th, 11.75 seconds; 200, 14th, 24.25 seconds
- Manny Rodriguez: 100, 17th, 11.93 seconds; long jump, 22nd, 5.45 meters; triple jump, 13th, 11.28 meters
- Aaron Ferguson: 100, 23rd, 12.19 seconds
- Shaun Thompson: 3000 steeplechase, 15th, 10:49.23
- JR Yankowski: discus, 14th, 36.97 meters; javelin, 17th, 39.64 meters
- Logan Kelly: hammer, 15th, 23.35 meters; shot put, 20th, 10.78 meters
- Alex Panagakos: javelin, 11th, 44.87 meters
- Nick Anania: javelin, 22nd, 31.95 meters
- Nevin Stambaugh: long jump, 18th, 5.62 meters
- Ian Armstrong: shot put, 14th, 11.78 meters
- Alex West: shot put, 18th, 10.91 meters
Next Up: The Green Terror returns to action at the Swarthmore Final Qualifier on Monday, May 14.