BALTIMORE, Md. – Billy Emerson (Germantown, Md./Watkins Mill) recorded a pair of top-four finishes in the throws to lead McDaniel at the 2017 Centennial Conference (CC) men's outdoor track and field championship hosted by Johns Hopkins on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- The Green Terror finished eighth with 52 points. Johns Hopkins won the nine-team championship with 269.5 points, easily outdistancing Haverford by 137.5 points.
Precious Medals: The following athletes earned a medal at the championship:
- Billy Emerson claimed the bronze medal in the shot put, finishing third with a throw of 14.51 meters.
- Alex Mejias (Hampstead, Md./North Carroll) also claimed a bronze medal, finishing third in the decathlon with 4395 points.
Making a Point: The following athletes earned points at the meet:
- Gavin Gibson (Newark, Del./Sanford): 800, finishing sixth with a time of 1:57.36. He qualified eighth with a time of 1:58.02 in the prelims.
- Nevin Stambaugh (Taneytown, Md./Francis Scott Key): 110 hurdles, finishing eighth with a time of 17.12 seconds. He qualified sixth with a time of 17.03 seconds in the prelims.
- Caleb White (Glen Burnie, Md./Baltimore City College): 400 hurdles, finishing sixth with a time of 57.68 seconds. He qualified seventh with a time of 59.96 seconds in the prelims.
- Mikyas Kisi (Baltimore, Md./Archbishop Curley): 400 hurdles, finishing eighth with a time of 1:01.57. He qualified eighth with a time of 1:00.10 in the prelims.
- Billy Emerson: discus, finishing fourth with a throw of 42.51 meters.
- Ian Armstrong (Tallyville, Del./Brandywine): discus, finishing sixth with a throw of 41.43 meters.
- Alex West (Ashburn, Va./Broad Run): decathlon, finishing fourth with 4070 points.
- Evan Callahan (Boxborough, Mass./Acton-Boxborough Regional): decathlon, finishing fifth with 3902 points.
- Will Bower (Emmittsburg, Md./MMI Prep): decathlon, finishing sixth with 3264 points.
Record Setter: The following athletes established a new program record at the meet:
- Jim Heilman set a new program record in the 3000 (9:12.52).
Standard Bearer: The following athletes hit Centennial Conference-qualifying marks at the meet:
- Gavin Gibson: 800, 1:58.30
- Jim Heilman: 1500, 4:05.82
- Caleb White: 400 hurdles, 1:00.54; long jump, 6.20 meters
- Mikyas Kisi: 400 hurdles, 1:01.77
- Billy Emerson: shot put, 14.38 meters; discus, 42.13 meters
- Ian Armstong: discus, 42.44 meters
A New Standard: The following athletes hit ECAC-qualifying marks at the meet:
- The 4x800 relay of Jim Heilman (Lutherville, Md./Baltimore Lutheran), Alex Panagakos (Hampstead, Md./North Carroll), Will Greene (Westminster, Md./Delone Catholic [Pa.]) and Gavin Gibson finished fifth with a time of 7:54.43.
- Billy Emerson: shot put, 14.51 meters; discus, 42.51 meters
Top 10 Worthy: The following athletes achieved a mark that ranks in the program's all-time top 10:
- Gavin Gibson now ranks sixth in the 800 (1:57.36).
- The 4x800 relay now ranks fourth (7:56.43).
- Billy Emerson now ranks fifth in the shot put (14.51 meters).
Top of His Game: The following athletes turned in a personal-best performance at the meet:
- Caleb White posted a time of 58.41 seconds in the 400 hurdles.
- Mikyas Kisi posted a time of 59.83 seconds in the 400 hurdles.
- Alex Mejias posted a time of 1:03.04 in the 400 hurdles.
- Antonio Batang posted a time of 23.84 seconds in the 200.
- Anthony Crawley posted a mark of 11.85 meters in the triple jump.
Teamwork: The following relays competed at the meet:
- The 4x100 relay of Nevin Stambaugh, Caleb White, Steven Morella and Michael Gallagher finished sixth with a time of 45.02 seconds.
- The 4x400 relay of Michael Gallagher, Alex Panagakos, Gavin Gibson and Caleb White finished fourth with a time of 3:26.55.
The Best of the Rest: The following also competed at the event:
- Nevin Stambaugh: 100, 16th, 12.00 seconds
- Steven Morella: 100, 19th, 12.18 seconds; 200, 21st, 24.54 seconds
- Antonio Batang: 100, 22nd, 12.51 seconds; 200, 22nd, 24.74 seconds
- Michael Gallagher: 400, ninth, 51.93 seconds
- Jim Heilman: 1500, 12th, 4:07.49
- Shaun Thompson: 3000 steeplechase, 17th, 10:54.61
- Caleb White: long jump, 14th, 5.66 meters
- Luis Miramontes: shot put, 17th, 11.15 meters; discus, 17th, 33.50 meters; hammer, 10th, 33.08 meters
- Brandon Creyer: shot put, 19th, 11.04 meters
- JR Yankowski: discus, 18th, 33.49 meters; hammer, 15th, 27.99 meters; javelin, 16th, 41.81 meters
- Logan Kelly: hammer, 17th, 23.89 meters
Next Up: The Green Terror returns to action at the Swarthmore Last Chance Meet on Monday, May 15.