Salomon win clinches victory
WESTMINSTER, Md. – Down three match points, Ryan Salomon (Bethesda, Md./The Siena) rallied for a 6-4 victory in the deciding set to prevail at fifth singles and give McDaniel a 5-4 victory over Muhlenberg in Centennial Conference (CC) men's tennis action on Saturday.
The Green Terror (6-6, 1-5 CC) took two of the three doubles matches before splitting singles play to notch its first win over the Mules (2-6, 0-5 CC) since 1982. It also snapped a 59-match conference losing streak for McDaniel. The Green Terror's last CC match victory came by a 7-2 margin against Ursinus to close the 2007 season.
Solomon dropped the first set of his match with Derrick Eng 6-2 before forcing the deciding set with a 7-6 victory.
McFall and McCarthy teamed for an 8-4 win at first doubles before McFall won second singles in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3. McCarthy had won the first set of third singles 6-3 and led the second set 5-4 before his opponent retired.
Ben Berkowitz and Eng won third doubles 9-8 to make it a 2-1 match going to singles.
Daniel Lakhman won first singles 7-5, 6-3 while Neil Shulman took No. 6 singles, 6-3, 6-3.
Eric Chavis dropped a 7-5 decision to Langsdale in the first set before recording a 6-2 win to force a third set. Chavis draw Muhlenberg even at 4-all with only the fifth singles match still on the court as the deciding match.
The Green Terror returns to action at Johns Hopkins on Wednesday. Match time is 4 p.m.
McDaniel 5, Muhlenberg 4
1. Seth McFall/Satchel McCarthy (Mc) def. Daniel Lakhman/Jason Teitelbaum 8-4;
2. Brian Kron/Matthew Langsdale (Mc) def. Eric Chavis/Neil Shulman 8-4;
3. Ben Berkowitz/Derrick Eng (Mu) def. Ryan Salomon/Philip Jorgensen 9-8.
1. Lakhman (Mu) def. Kron 7-5, 6-3;
2. McFall (Mc) def. Teitelbaum 6-1, 6-3;
3. McCarthy (Mc) def. Berkowitz by retirement;
4. Chavis (Mu) def. Langsdale 5-7, 6-2, 6-4;
5. Salomon (Mc) def. Eng 2-6, 7-6, 6-4;
6. Shulman (Mu) def. Daniel Xinis 6-3, 6-3.