McFall wins in straight sets
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. – Ursinus swept doubles play and held on to defeat McDaniel 5-4 in Centennial Conference (CC) men's tennis action on Saturday.
Seth McFall (Dover, Del./Caesar Rodney) led the Green Terror (6-7, 0-6 CC) with a 6-4, 6-4 straight-set win at third singles.
Evan Stutchin paced the Bears (11-8, 1-6 CC) with a 2-0 day, taking both top-flight matches. He teamed with Logan Metcalf-Kelly for an 8-2 win in doubles before capturing singles, 6-1, 6-3.
David Rowe added a 2-0 day for Ursinus, teaming with Mike Melchiorre for an 8-4 win at No. 3 doubles and winning sixth singles, 6-4, 6-3.
Matthew Langsdale (Hampstead, Md./North Carroll) took the first set at fifth singles 7-6 after winning the tiebreaker 7-4. He completed the straight-set win, 7-6.
Chad Palman (Montgomery Village, Md./Gaithersburg) won No. 4 singles with a 7-6 third-set win. He took the first set 6-0 before Metcalf-Kelly evened the match with a 6-3 victory in the second set.
Brian Kron (Upperco, Md./North Carroll) rounded out the McDaniel winners, rallying to win second singles. After dropping the first set 7-6 by virtue of a 7-4 tiebreak win for Evan Lord, Kron won the second set 7-5 and the capped the three-set win with a 6-2 victory.
Lord and Sean Kelley won second doubles, 8-5.
The Green Terror returns to action at home against Muhlenberg on Sunday. Match time is 12 p.m.
Ursinus 5, McDaniel 4
1. Evan Stutchin/Logan Metcalf-Kelly (U) def. Steve French/Chad Palman 8-2;
2. Evan Lord/Sean Kelley (U) def. Brian Kron/Matthew Langsdale 8-5;
3. David Rowe/Mike Melchiorre (U) def. Seth McFall/Daniel Xinis 8-4.
1. Stutchin (U) def. French 6-1, 6-3;
2. Kron (M) def. Lord 6-7 (4-7), 7-5, 6-2;
3. McFall (M) def. Metcalf-Kelly 6-4, 6-4;
4. Palman (M) def. Kelley 6-0, 3-6, 7-6;
5. Langsdale (M) def. Bennet Krantz 7-6 (7-4), 7-6;
6. Rowe (U) def. Xinis 6-4, 6-3.