Johns Hopkins sweeps McDaniel
BALTIMORE, Md. – German Gonzalez dropped two games in a pair of wins to lead No. 13 Johns Hopkins to a 9-0 victory over McDaniel in Centennial Conference (CC) men's tennis action on Wednesday.
The Blue Jays (14-3, 8-0 CC), ranked third in the region, swept doubles play before taking all six singles sets in straight sets to remain perfect in conference play.
Gonzalez paired with Jeremy Schwartz for an 8-1 victory at No. 1 doubles before tallying a 6-0, 6-1 win at third singles. Schwartz downed Faber 6-1, 6-2 at No. 2 singles.
Andy Hersh won by the same scores as Schwartz over Ward at top singles.
Ron Friedman and Michael Chang were also double winners, teaming for an 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles before winning at fourth and fifth singles, respectively.
McDaniel returns to action at Gettysburg on Saturday. Match time is 1 p.m.
No. 13 Johns Hopkins 9, McDaniel 0
1. German Gonzalez/Jeremy Schwartz (J) def. Ben Faber/Chad Palman 8-1;
2. Michael Chang/Ron Friedman (J) def. Justin Ward/Steve French 8-1;
3. Joey Frank/Joonas Karjalainen (J) def. Brian Kron/Matthew Langsdale 8-2.
1. Andy Hersh (J) def. Ward 6-1, 6-2;
2. Schwartz (J) def. Faber 6-1, 6-2;
3. Gonzalez (J) def. French 6-0, 6-1;
4. Friedman (J) def. Kron 6-0, 6-3;
5. Chang (J) def. Palman 6-1, 6-1;
6. Karjalainen (J) def. Langsdale 6-0, 6-1.