Brooks win third-set tiebreak at first singles for 5-4 win
TOWSON, Md. - Michael Brooks sealed the match with a third-set tiebreaker victory at first singles, lifting Goucher to a 5-4 victory over McDaniel in non-conference men's tennis action on Tuesday.
The Green Terror (0-2) took two of the three doubles matches but the Gophers (1-1) won four of the six singles matches to walk away with the win.
With the match tied at 3-all, Daniel Csete came back from a 6-4 first-set loss to win 6-2 and 6-1 at No. 4 singles to give Goucher a 4-3 lead.
With the first singles match even after Brooks took the first set 6-2 and Dan Hovorka (Storrs, Conn./E.O. Smith) won the second 6-4, Brooks took a 7-6 third-set win on a 7-2 tiebreaker for the victory.
Gus Foley rounded out the match with a 6-3, 6-4 win at sixth singles for the final margin.
Hovorka and Ben Faber (Wayne, Pa./Conestoga) won 8-5 at first doubles before Faber took his second singles match 6-3, 6-2
Foley teamed with Luke Schmidt for an 8-4 win at third doubles.
McDaniel opens the spring schedule at home against Swarthmore on Mar. 27
Goucher 5, McDaniel 4
1. Dan Hovorka/Ben Faber (M) def. Michael Brooks/Charlie Leonard 8-5;
2. Billie Weiss/J.D. Collongette (G) def. Steve French/Aaron Waltemeyer 8-4;
3. Luke Schmidt/Gus Foley (M) def. Dave Hemelt/Brett Blackman 8-4.
1. Brooks (G) def. Hovorka 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2);
2. Faber (M) def. Leonard 6-3, 6-2;
3. Weiss (G) def. French 6-4, 6-1;
4. Daniel Csete (G) def. Waltemeyer 4-6, 6-2, 6-1;
5. Collongette (G) def. Schmidt 6-0, 6-2;
6. Foley (M) def. Hemelt 6-3, 6-4.