WESTMINSTER, Md. – Grayson Blanchard (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) led McDaniel over Hood to close the first half of the season in non-conference men's swimming action on Saturday.
- The Green Terror (2-3) defeated the Blazers (2-7) by a score of 61-42.
Head of the Class: The following athletes won multiple events at the meet:
- Grayson Blanchard won the 100 butterfly (53.93 seconds) and 100 free (50.21).
- Individually, Paul Van Nevel (Gaithersburg, Md./Poolesville) won the 200 backstroke (1:58.63) and 50 butterfly (25.03 seconds). He was also part of the winning 400 medley relay (3:58.01).
- Individually, Jose Pac (Quetzaltenango, Guatemala/Inter-American) won the 200 IM (1:59.98). He was also part of the winning 400 medley relay (3:58.01).
Striking Gold: The following athletes won a single event at the meet:
- Brandon Loehmer (Shrewsbury, Pa./Susquehannock) won the 500 free (5:07.14).
- Michael Brant (Wilmington, Del./Cab Calloway School of the Arts) won the 50 backstroke (27.48 seconds).
- Nick Villareal (Fleetwood, Pa./Berks Catholic) won the 50 free (23.12 seconds).
- Zach Kiick (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg Area) and Sam Simacek (Flower Mound, Texas/Marcus) joined Paul Van Nevel and Jose Pac to win the 400 medley relay (3:58.01).
Precious Metal: The following athletes finished second or third in an event at the meet:
- Michael Brant finished second in the 100 butterfly (58.52 seconds).
- Brandon Loehmer finished second in the 50 butterfly (25.34 seconds).
- Zach Kiick finished second in the 100 breaststroke (1:08.05). He was also third in the 50 breaststroke (31.05 seconds).
- Sam Simacek finished second in the 50 breaststroke (31.02 seconds).
Top 10 Worthy: The following athletes achieved a mark that ranks in the program's all-time top 10:
- Jose Pac ranks sixth in the 200 IM (1:59.98).
From the X-Files: The following athletes turned in the best time of the event while swimming exhibition:
- Grayson Blanchard touched first in the 100 IM (57.88 seconds).
- Brandon Loehmer, Paul Van Nevel, Grayson Blanchard and Sam Simacek touched first in the 400 free relay (3:32.21).
For the Foes: The following Hood athletes won events at the meet:
- Gaby Hernandez-Paese won the 100 breaststroke (1:05.56), 50 breaststroke (30.38 seconds) and 100 IM (1:00.48).
Next Up: The Green Terror returns to action at Salisbury on Saturday, Jan. 6. Meet time is 1 p.m.