ELIZABETHTOWN, Pa. – Paul Van Nevel (Gaithersburg, Md./Poolesville) won twice to lead McDaniel at Elizabethtown in non-conference men's swimming action on Saturday.
- The Green Terror (3-6-1) and the Blue Jays (4-3-1) tied, 125-125. Trailing by nine entering the final event, Elizabethtown took first and third in the 200 free relay to forge the tie.
Head of the Class: The following athletes won multiple events at the meet:
- Paul Van Nevel won the 100 free (50.98), 100 backstroke (55.90) and 500 free (5:18.41).
- Justin Allen (Ashburn, Va./Broad Run) won the 200 free (1:54.24) and 100 breaststroke (1:00.82).
- Grayson Blanchard (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) won the 200 butterfly (2:06.49) and the 100 butterfly (53.98).
Striking Gold: The following athletes won a single event at the meet:
- Andrew Gottfried (Berlin, Md./Stephen Decatur) won the 200 IM (2:06.25).
- Adam Halmy (Shenandoah, Texas/College Park) won the 100 IM (59.91).
Precious Metal: The following athletes finished second or third in an event at the meet:
- Adam Halmyfinished second in the 200 IM (2:09.01).
- Owen Long (Hanover, Pa./New Oxford) finished second in the 50 free (23.49).
- Andrew Gottfried finished second in the 100 butterfly (54.98).
- Brian Austin (Turlock, Calif./J.H. Pitman) finished second in the 500 free (5:27.01).
- Brandon Bond (Hebron, Md./Mardela) finished second in the 100 IM (1:03.59).
- Brandon Loehmer (Shrewsbury, Pa./Susquehannock) finished third in the 100 free (52.14).
- Grayson Blachard, Owen Long, Andrew Gottfried and Adam Halmy teamed to finish second in the 200 free relay (1:32.54).
Top of His Game: The following athletes turned in a season-best performance at the meet:
For the Foes: The following Elizabethtown athletes won events at the meet:
- Sam Hirschberg won the 200 backstroke (2:18.03).
- Kieran Koehler won 200 breaststroke (2:25.75).
- Alec Schneider won the 50 free (23.01).
- Koehler and Schneider joined Casey Marshall and Tommy Kuhn to win the 200 medley relay (1:42.32).
- Schneider, Koehler and Marshall joined David Foery to win the 200 free relay (1:31.76).
Next Up: The Green Terror returns to action at Washington on Saturday, Feb. 4. Meet time is 1 p.m.