No. 7 York (3-0) 14, McDaniel (0-2) 8
What: Non-conference men's lacrosse game
When: Saturday, Feb. 23
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
York (Pa.) put together a 6-1 run in the second half to break open an 8-6 game and top McDaniel, 14-8.
• Joey Conklin (Westminster, Md./Westminster) led the Green Terror with a goal, two assists, two ground balls and three caused turnovers.
• Jakob Katzen (Wilmington, Del./Wilmington Friends) made 17 saves in goal, playing 53 minutes between the pipes.
• Micah Brooks (Woolford, Md./Cambridge South Dorchester) led the attack with four goals.
FOR THE FOES
• Thomas Pfeiffer led the Spartans with four goals and three assists.
• Brendan McGrath added four goals.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Micah Brooks took a feed from Jackson Reilly (Churchton, Md./Southern) and finished for a 1-0 lead just 2:04 into the game. Back-to-back goals from Thomas Pfeiffer four minutes apart turned the early one-goal deficit into a one-goal lead. Bard Casale finished Eric Ranck's second helper of the day with 3:32 to play in the opening quarter for a 3-1 lead.
• Brooks finished from the ground right in front of the goal to pull the hosts back within one with 13:37 remaining in the second quarter. Hunter Davis stretched the lead back to two just two minutes later before Bryce Brookhart (Ellicott City, Md./Mt. Hebron) found the back of the net and Brooks finished from Joey Conklin for a man-up tally to tie the game at 4-all with 8:49 to play. Pfeiffer wasted no time, scoring just off the ensuing faceoff to put the Spartans back on top. Two McGrath goals around a Brooks tally gave the visitors a 7-5 halftime lead.
• After Casale and Nick DeLoriers (Abington, Md./John Carroll) traded goals in the first three minutes of the third quarter, Gunnar Reynolds started a three-goal run over a 1-minute, 33-second stretch for an 11-6 lead midway through the period. McGrath finished back-to-back goals from Pfeiffer.
• A Reynolds solo run stretched the lead to 12-6 with 11:23 to play before Noah Longest (Camden, Del./Caesar Rodney) finished from Reilly to momentarily halt the momentum. Noah Bruno and Pfeiffer, however, added goals to push the lead to 14-7 before Conklin found the back of the net on a bouncer in the final minute.
THE INSIDE STORY
• York finished the game with a 54-25 advantage in shots.
• The Spartans won 17 of 26 faceoffs.
• Noah Longest tallied his first collegiate goal in the fourth quarter.
McDaniel returns to action at Goucher on Wednesday. Game time is 7 p.m.