No. 15 Johns Hopkins (3-2, 1-0 CC) 77, McDaniel (2-1, 0-1 CC) 61
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Tuesday, Nov. 20
Where: Baltimore, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Johns Hopkins raced out to a 9-2 lead in the game's first two minutes and never looked back in a 77-61 win over McDaniel in the CC opener for both teams.
• Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) scored 12 points and added seven rebounds to lead the Green Terror.
• DJ Harper (Bowie, Md./Riverdale Baptist) chipped in 11 points and five boards.
FOR THE FOES
• Joey Kern led the Blue Jays with 18 points, including five 3-pointers.
• Michael Gardner added 13 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Three Joey Kern 3-pointers in the game's first 1:50 to catapult the hosts to a 9-2 lead. An Isaac Ray (Fredericksburg, Pa./Northern Lebanon) hit a driving layup to make it an 11-7 game with 14:57 to play but Connor Delaney responded with another of the Blue Jays' eight first-half triples to spark an 11-2 run that pushed the lead to 23-9 with 10:52 remaining.
• Five straight points from Caleb Johnson trimmed the deficit to 23-16 four minutes later but Johns Hopkins responded with eight of the next nine points to push the lead back to 14. McDaniel closed the deficit to 31-23 but Michael Gardner capped a late flurry, giving the Blue Jays a 42-29 halftime lead.
• Aaron Washington (Washington, D.C./Montrose Christian) and Tony Tavares (Chesapeake Beach, Va./Huntingtown) closed the deficit to single digits just 1:17 into the second half. A Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) 3-pointer made it a 44-36 game but Gardner and Delaney hit back-to-back triples to spark a 10-0 run that stretched the lead to 18 with 15:09 to play. The lead ballooned as large as 73—42 with 4:58 to play en route to the 16-point victory.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Ten of the 15 Green Terror players who saw action registered at least three points.
• Johns Hopkins hit 13 triples in the game while McDaniel connected on just four shots from long range.
McDaniel returns to action at Mt. Aloysius on Sunday. Game time is 2 p.m.