McDaniel (1-0) 78, Southern Virginia (0-1) 69
What: Non-Conference men's basketball game
When: Monday, Nov. 12
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel overcame a 64-60 deficit with 6:09 to play, putting together a 14-0 run over the next 3:42 to top Southern Virginia, 78-69.
• Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) led the way with 18 points, hitting four 3-pointers in his collegiate debut.
• Stephen Lang (Gaithersburg, Md./Poolesville) added 12 points on four triples off the bench.
• Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Garfield) added 12 points, five steals and three assists.
• Tony Tavares (Chesapeake Beach, Md./Huntingtown) pulled down 10 rebounds to go with seven points, two assists and two steals.
FOR THE FOES
• Jamier Cross led the Knights with 31 points.
• Alec Johnson added 10 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Two Josh Sproul 3-pointers keyed a 6-0 start to the game for McDaniel. A Sproul baseline dunk and Caleb Johnson jumper stretched the lead to 13-4 with 14:14 to play in the first half. Stephen Lang stretched the lead to double digits for the first time at 18-8 on the first of his three first-half triples.
• The first-half advantage swelled as large as 12 with 6:56 to play. Jamier Cross drained a triple just before the first-half horn to cut the deficit to 41-33 at the break.
• That sparked momentum into the second half, stretching the run to 11-0 to tie the game at 41-all with 17:44 to play. Trailing by as many as four, Lang hit a triple with 8:32 to play drawing the game even for the sixth time in a 9-minute, 12-second span.
• Another Cross 3-pointer – one of his six on the night – pushed the lead to 65-61 before two Caleb Johnson free throw and a Sproul triple sparked the game-clinching 14-0 run. After an Alec Johnson layup halted the run, Mike Wallace (Wilmington, Del./Salesianum) hit the dagger 3-pointer in the corner with 50.4 seconds left for a 78-67 advantage.
THE INSIDE STORY
• It was the fifth straight year that the Green Terror opened the season with a victory.
• Newcomers to the McDaniel roster combined for 52 points in their debut.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Wilson on Saturday. Game time is 7 p.m.